Area Athletes Update
Area athletes update ...
Morehead State freshman Shay Steele (West Rowan) enjoyed her best college game in a 103-55 rout of Berea.
Playing 20 minutes, Steele had a career-high 17 points and tied her career-high with 11 rebounds. Steele had seven offensive rebounds.
Steele averages 3.4 points and 3.2 rebounds.
• Temple’s Shi-Heria Shipp (Salisbury) bounced back from an off game against Syracuse in the Carrier Dome with a career-high 22 points and eight rebounds in an 83-58 win against Howard.
Shipp had six points, three blocks and three assists in a 59-58 loss to Villanova on Saturday.
Shipp is averaging 10.7 points and a team-high 7.7 rebounds. She was recently named the OwlSports.com Athlete of the Week.
• Radford’s Ayana Avery scored all of her nine points from the 3-point line in Saturday’s 82-33 loss to Virginia Tech. Avery has hit 28 3s in 11 games. She leads the Highlanders with 11.9 points per game.
• In Charlotte’s 76-60 win against Davidson on Saturday, Olivia Rankin (Salisbury) scored four points, and Ayanna Holmes (Salisbury) had four assists and three steals.
Holmes has started every game for the 49ers (5-6). Rankin has started once and has played in all 11.
• Gardner-Webb’s Jessica Heilig (Salisbury) had a good weekend, although the Bulldogs lost twice in a tournament. Heilig had 16 points and six rebounds in a 90-77 loss to Wright State and 12 points and 10 rebounds in Saturday’s 86-68 loss to Lipscomb. Doreen Richardson (Salisbury) had five rebounds and two assists in the Lipscomb game.
Heilig averages 9.3 points and 4.8 rebounds.
• Belmont Abbey’s Ashia Holmes (Salisbury) had five rebounds in a 69-63 loss to J.C. Smith on Saturday.
• Columbia’s Alison Sobataka (West) had 10 points and seven rebounds in an 85-76 loss to Southern Wesleyan.
• Pfeiffer freshman Amy Steller (Davie) averaged 7.3 points in the Falcons’ first four games before being sidelined by an appendectomy.
Brevard’s Darius Moose (Carson) was honored as the school’s male student-athlete of the month.
Moose has been an ironman, playing 38.7 minutes per game and averaging 18.0 points and 6.8 rebounds per game. Moose is shooting 51 percent from the field and 38.2 percent on 3-pointers.
• Isaiah Cuthbertson (West) had a tremendous game for Mars Hill last week, producing 26 points and 18 rebounds in a 93-85 loss to Belmont Abbey. Cuthbertson ranks fourth in the SAC in rebounding with 8.9 per game and is third in shooting percentage (65.2 percent).
• K.J. and Keshun Sherrill (West) combined for 10 points in Sunday’s 70-65 win against Mount Olive. Augusta is 9-2.
• Oshon West (North Rowan) averages 5.5 points and 3.7 rebounds for an 11-1 Louisburg team.
• Nick Houston (Carson) leads Catawba with 14 3-pointers. He’s shooting 35 percent from the 3-point line.
• Roanoke’s Alex Weant (Salisbury) averages 2.7 points and 2.3 rebounds and has played in every game. He had four rebounds in Saturday’s overtime loss to Eastern Mennnonite.
• Teven Jones (A.L. Brown) has played in 10 of Virginia’s 11 games and has scored four points.
• Drew Absher (Davie) has played in four games for VMI and has scored five points.
• Former Concord Spider Reid Aube, 6-6, is a walk-on for the Charlotte 49ers.
College commitments and news
East Rowan pitcher Chase Jarrett will sign with Brunswick Community College in January. ... South Rowan catcher Matt Honeycutt has given a verbal commitment to Mars Hill’s baseball program. ... South’s Lynsey Corriher plans to play volleyball at Averett. ... Early football commitments set to sign in February include Carson defensive end/linebacker MyQuon Stout (Appalachian State), West Rowan safety Najee Tucker (Charlotte), A.L. Brown center Kaleb Spry (Western Carolina) and Davie offensive lineman Trip McNeill (Duke). Receiver Jarvis Morgan (West) indicated that he has transferred to Charlotte from Winston-Salem State. ... South infielder Chandler Corriher will compete in the Baseball Factory Christmas Camp & Tournament at Pirate City in Bradenton, Fla. ... Salisbury’s Frank Adams III shot 73-68-70-72-77-71 in the Web.com Tour qualifying tournament in California. He was 1-under for six rounds and tied for 113th. ,,, Former Concord and East Carolina star Lance Lewis was cut by the Washington Redskins and was signed by the Dallas Cowboys. ... Former West Rowan and Greensboro College player Malcolm Gaither is coaching at Greensboro Grimsley. ... Carlos Dixon (South) has started his pro basketball season in Japan. Dixon averaged 17.0 points in his first three games for the Gunma Crane Thunders.