Fourth suspect in Kauffman shooting turns himself in, is indicted

Tramel Hart
Tramel Hart

A Rowan County grand jury indictment says a teen charged for his involvement in the shooting of Marcus Kauffman helped his brother and another man, who were wanted for attempted murder, escape detection by selling items stolen during the break-in.

Kauffman, 25, who goes by the nickname Marco, was shot in the back of the head on Dec. 2 while inside his car following a home break-in at the Chenault Road home he shared with wife, Maryann. He remains in the intensive care unit at Carolinas Medical Center.


Tramel Devon Hart, 18, who was charged with accessory after the fact to attempted first-degree murder, was indicted on Monday along with three others who’ve been charged and now are in the custody of the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office. Hart, of Harmony, turned himself in Thursday at 9:20 p.m. at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.

Investigators say Hart’s brother, Khari Dewayne McClelland, 23, also of Harmony, and 19-year-old Jaylend Daquann Turner, of Statesville, were at Kauffman’s home that morning. The two forced their way into the home and took items including a handgun and laptop.

The laptop was tracked to a Statesville home where investigators spoke with Michael Dwayne Teasley, 25, who told them he bought the laptop from a man for $200, court papers said.

The day of the break-in Kauffman and his wife, who is pregnant, returned home around 10 a.m. to find a blue car parked near their home. The hood of the vehicle was up. Kauffman, feeling uncomfortable about the situation, took his wife to a neighbor’s home.

When Kauffman returned to his home he asked the men if they needed help, but soon realized his home had been burglarized. Kauffman managed to call 911 before being shot while in his car. His car was found at the end of a nearby corn field. Kauffman had struck a tree, causing further injuries.

The grand jury indictment says Hart knowingly assisted McClelland and Turner in “attempting to escape and in escaping detection, arrest, and punishment by selling, buying and possessing stolen property” that was taken during the attempted murder and break-in at Kauffman’s home.

Investigators have said it is possible Kauffman was shot with his own 45-caliber handgun. Crime lab tests will have to be conducted to confirm whether 45-caliber handgun shells found at the scene match Kauffman’s gun.

McClelland remains in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $5 million bond. Turner remains in the Rowan County jail under a $3 million bond. Hart and Teasley each have a $500,000 secured bond and remain in the county jail.

Kauffman remains in the intensive care unit at a Charlotte hospital. His family has made regular Facebook posts, with much of the focus noting the changes in the pressure on his brain.

A CT scan done on Thursday, his family said, looks good. The left side of Kauffman’s brain, for the most part, looks unharmed. The doctors are very encouraged by the progress Kauffman has made, a Facebook post said.

The community has shown support to the Kauffman family through prayers and financial support through their donations to local fundraising efforts.

The Subway restaurant in Cleveland also donated 20 percent of its total sales on Friday to help Kauffman’s family offset medical expenses.

The Scotch Irish Fire Department, where Kauffman is a member, will host a port-a-pit barbecue chicken fundraiser Jan. 17 and 18 from 11 a.m.-8 p.m. at the station, 3220 Needmore Road, Woodleaf. Fire Chief Trey Hoshall said the plates are $8 and will contain half a chicken, baked beans, slaw, bread and dessert. The chicken is from Jerry’s Chicken, in western Rowan County.

There will also be a blood drive through the Community Blood Center of the Carolinas, at the station during the fundraiser both days in honor of Kauffman. Plates can be eaten at the station or picked up, Hoshall said.

Anyone interested in the port-a-pit is asked to order ahead by leaving their name, number and how many orders they’d like at 704-431-2559.

Notice about comments:

Salisburypost.com is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Salisburypost.com cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Salisburypost.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.