Christmas Happiness: Nancy Troutman gives in memory of late husband
Nancy Troutman and her late husband, Harry Troutman Jr., have over the years given to the Christmas Happiness Fund. The couple were married for 35 years until Harry’s death in March. This week, Nancy donated to the fund in her husband’s memory.
“I just thought it would be a way for some kid that didn’t have something to get something,” Nancy said.
The Christmas Happiness fund helps Rowan County families who are in need to buy gifts for their children. The contributions are collected at the Salisbury Post and listed in the paper each day. The Salvation Army of Rowan County distributes those funds.
Harry Troutman spent much of his life helping others — from the time he served in the military from 1967 to 1969 during the Vietnam War era to his volunteer service with Bostian Heights Fire Department.
Harry served as a volunteer firefighter with the fire department for 50 years.
Nancy said her husband was a “quiet fella” and kept to himself mostly, but “if you knew him you’d like him.”
The couple met at the VFW, of which Harry was a member and Nancy was president. He grew up in Salisbury and she was raised in Gold Hill.
Bring Christmas Happiness contributions to the Salisbury Post, 131 W. Innes St., between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays or mail them to The Salisbury Post Christmas Happiness Fund, P.O. Box 4639, Salisbury, NC 28145-4639.
Make checks payable to the Christmas Happiness Fund and indicate how you wish your donations to be listed. Please write legibly to ensure that donations can be listed accurately.
Contributions so far are:
• In honor of Tanner, Christopher, David and Kathryn by Gran and Granddaddy. $50
• In memory of Harry C. Troutman, Jr. by Nancy Troutman $50
• Charles Buckley $200
• Honoring the memory of: Dorothy Laurissa McConneaughey Gaither $2,500
• In memory of Marshall Anthony Sr., Alicia Catherine Sienerth-Love and missing you Granny $25
• In memory of John E. Bame by Sarah Bame $10
• Sharing our blessing $50
• In loving memory of Jane Benton Kale, Mr. and Mrs. Don Benton and Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Gaskey by Keith and Darlene Kale and Vickie Bean $100
• In memory of Melvin Morgan by Betty Morgan and Family $100
Running Total $6,890