1880s Donald Clement, Sr. House

  • Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2013 12:01 a.m.

310 S. Ellis St.

This frame house was constructed in the 1880s and rebuilt in 1913 by attorney L. H. Clement in the domestic Colonial Revival style.

L. H. Clement’s son, Donald Clement Sr. and wife, Alice Vanderford Clement, who grew up on Fulton Street, lived in the house from 1920 until their deaths in the 1960s and 1970s.


Donald Clement Sr. served in WWI as the officer in charge of supplying the Fourth Division of the United States Army during their epic battles across France.

During the short Allied occupation of Germany following the war, he commanded a small city located on the Moselle River.

He started the Salisbury Motor Company in 1919 and sold Buicks and several other makes.

At one time, the company was one of the oldest Buick dealerships in America. Several vintage automobiles will be on display in the driveway of the house; some were sold new by Salisbury Motor Company.

Ellis Street marked the original northwest boundary of Salisbury.

This original 64 city block area is defined by what is today Ellis, Cemetery, Boundary (Martin Luther King Boulevard) and Monroe Streets.

Salisbury was formally established on February 11, 1755, and named for the English city of the same name, which lies near the ancient site of Stonehenge.

Salisbury’s location was chosen at the junction of the Great Wagon Road and the Catawba and Cherokee Indian Trading Path.

Commenting is not allowed on this article.