1820 Dr. Josephus Hall House

  • Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2013 12:01 a.m.

1820 Dr. Josephus Hall House

226 S. Jackson St.

Salisbury’s landmark residence was originally an 1820 two-story Federal style double-pile (two rooms deep) frame house used by the girl’s department of Salisbury Academy. The original Salisbury Academy closed after five years in operation, and the building was sold. Ms. Rebecca Troy and her half-brother, Maxwell Chambers, lived in the house for fourteen years, until her marriage to Judge David Caldwell.

In 1859, Dr. Josephus Hall (1805-1873) purchased the property from Sheriff Chaffin and added a two-story front porch with cast iron oak leaf and acorn ornamental openwork, a gateway arch, and square-edged clapboard.


The ironwork was ordered from St. Louis, where Dr. Hall lived for some time, while helping to establish several medical schools. Salisbury blacksmith, Peter Frerck, installed the ironwork for Dr. Hall, which cost one hundred and seventeen dollars. The front windows were also lengthened. During the Civil War, Dr. Hall served as hospital surgeon and surgeon in charge at the Salisbury Confederate Prison.

Between 1890 and 1910, the attic was enlarged with a high-hipped roof and dormers. Historic Salisbury Foundation purchased the home and contents in 1972 from the Hall family, which had continuously occupied the residence for 113 years.

A two-room detached kitchen, staffed before emancipation by enslaved persons, has been carefully restored.

Spacious grounds contain an herb garden and antique rose garden, as well as many old-growth trees and shrubs.

The cannon on the front lawn once guarded the Salisbury Confederate Prison.

The site is open for guided tours on weekends from March through December, and features special exhibits, guest speakers and programs.


Commenting is not allowed on this article.