1900 Lanier-Rufty Rental House

  • Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2013 12:01 a.m.

213 S. Lee St.

A true preservation project is always more than just smoke and mirrors. When turning a vacant, 1,800 sq. ft. house in downtown Salisbury into an upscale cigar shop and lounge, owner Darren W. Moody made a point of retaining as much of the building’s historic character as possible.

Working with architect Gray Stout and contractor Tim Klaus, the team retained original wood trim, molding, mantels, doors, and floors, while incorporating modern electricity, plumbing, and mechanical systems.


The transformed space offers a climate-controlled humidor, personal humidor lockers, and several themed lounges for patrons to relax and socialize.

You’re more likely to find customers enjoying the rocking chairs on the front porch and interacting with people walking or driving by.

Not only did this rehabilitation bring new life to a historic building, but it led the way for commercial revitalization in this block of downtown and was recently joined by the opening of Emma’s of Salisbury restaurant next door.

Constructed in 1900, the Lanier-Rufty Rental House is a modest one-story cottage with wood framing and weatherboard siding.

It is an asymmetrical ell shaped structure with a side porch.

The door and window surrounds are pediment with bosses and the single light front door and bell appear to be original. The window sashes have been removed and replaced with 6-over-6 sashes.

The Lanier-Rufty Rental House was constructed by Robert V. Lanier and later owned by local construction foreman D. A. Holbrooks.

It is one of 52 contributing structures in the Salisbury Historic District and is both well preserved and representative of the growth period of the district.

Commenting is not allowed on this article.