1869 Stewart-Marsh House
220 S. Ellis St.
This two-story Federal style house was constructed for J.J. and Clarissa Stewart on land given to them by her father, John Joseph Bruner.
Bruner was one of the leading editors in North Carolina and published the Carolina Watchman, a weekly newspaper, from 1839 until his death in 1890.
J.J. Stewart was also involved in the newspaper business and later joined his father-in-law at the Carolina Watchman.
The house remained in the Stewart family until 1928, when it was purchased at public sale by Dr. Frank B. Marsh.
In the 1935 Salisbury City Directory, Dr. Marsh is listed as a physician at Rowan General Hospital.
The side-gabled house was originally symmetrical and one room deep.
One and two-story additions have been added to the rear of the structure as well as a porch on the east corner of the house. A small square-columned portico accents the front entry.
The home contains more closets and storage areas than many of the era, including a wooden-walled storage closet under the staircase.
The access to the partial basement is a large trap door in the kitchen dining area.
The current owners lived in Moscow, Russia for four years and the influence from those years is evident throughout the home.
Some of the furnishings, most of the paintings, and many other decorative items are from Russia.
In the dining room, a large lighted display case features several collections of Russian china.