1895 Julian-Phillips House

  • Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2013 12:01 a.m.

309 E. Bank St.

This two-story frame Victorian house was built about 1895 for David R. Julian, Rowan County Sheriff during the period of 1900-1906.

A few years after its construction, Julian sold the house to Dr. Thomas Wright.

In 1902 Dr. Wright moved to Winston-Salem and sold the house to D. M. Phillips, a railroad employee. Phillips occupied the house until his death in the 1930s and the house passed to his daughter Annie Phillips who lived there until 1965.

The house was used as a rental property until it was purchased by Historic Salisbury Foundation in November 1992. Historic Salisbury Foundation sold the property in 1996 with protective covenants, and restoration of the house began.

Set behind a high bank created in 1950 when a new railroad bridge was constructed, the house is characterized by a steep gable roof with bold decorative brackets along the eaves and an asymmetrical composition.

According to Annie Phillips, the western addition and wrap-around porch were added by her father in 1902, giving the house its present appearance. The porch features heavy square posts, a turned balustrade, and decorative brackets.

During the time of the Salisbury Prison, the three-story brick barracks, a former cotton mill, was located at the back corner of this property.

The large building spanned a portion of what is now this lot, the vacant lot to the south, and the two lots behind, which face Horah Street.

Standing on what is now the sidewalk in front of the house, you would have been in the middle of the prison’s bakery.

Looking toward the front of the house, the northwestern wall of the prisoner stockade would have run parallel to the right side of this house, with a gate located approximately where the corner of the front porch now stands.

The Salisbury Prison was closed in early 1865 and its remnants destroyed by Union General Stoneman on April 12 of that year. Thirty years after Stoneman’s Raid, this house was constructed on the former site of the prison.

Notice about comments:

Salisburypost.com is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Salisburypost.com cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Salisburypost.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.