Fire damages home in Spencer

  • Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 1:11 a.m.
Firefighters check for hot spots following a fire at 1001 S. Rowan Ave. in Spencer on Sunday evening. According to Evelyn Cvechko, the homeowner, the fire may have started in the kitchen.
Firefighters check for hot spots following a fire at 1001 S. Rowan Ave. in Spencer on Sunday evening. According to Evelyn Cvechko, the homeowner, the fire may have started in the kitchen.

SPENCER — A Sunday evening fire heavily damaged a home in the 1000 block of South Rowan Avenue in Spencer.

Evelyn Cvechko, who has lived in the home since about 1960, said no one was inside at the time — “only everything I have,” she said.


According to Cvechko, the fire may have started in the kitchen.

Smoke rose from the roof and eaves at dusk as firefighters surveyed the home for hot spots.

Cvechko said she was visiting with family members in the neighborhood when her grandson, Jason Stamper, ran up to tell her the house was on fire.

Stamper said the blaze was too hot to consider going back inside the house.

He said he was able, however, to move his grandmother’s vehicle out from the carport adjacent to the house.

Ellen Stamper said she grew up in the house, where Cvechko had lived for about 50 years.

Firefighters from Spencer, Salisbury and Ellis departments responded, as did the Rowan County Rescue Squad and law enforcement.

Contact Hugh Fisher via the editor’s desk at 704-797-4244.

Commenting is not allowed on this article.