Rowan County fair gates open Monday
SALISBURY — The 62nd Annual Rowan County Fair rolls into town Monday evening. Along with the rides, the chicken and dumplings, cotton candy and the exhibits, there is much to learn from the fair, especially in agriculture.
With the increased interest in local foods, many are looking closer at agriculture. If you’d like to learn more about farm animals, gravitate toward the livestock barns.
Livestock and small animal shows, especially the youth versions, take center stage in the evenings. Youth participants have been preparing for weeks for the right to show and compete with their animals next week.
Below is a list of important dates for these animal shows and other events at the 2013 Rowan County Fair.
• 1-6 p.m. — Exhibits are accepted at the fair. Those who have entered items can bring them and pick up their tickets at the Exhibit Office.
Monday, Sept. 16
• 9 a.m. — Judging of exhibits and booths in educational building.
• 6:30 p.m. — Junior Ewe Show.
• 7 p.m. — Junior Market Goat Show.
• 7:30 p.m. — Beef Dress-up Contest.
Tuesday, Sept. 17
• 4:45 p.m. — Lamb Dress-up Show.
• 5 p.m. — Beef Cattle Show.
Wednesday, Sept. 18
• 4 p.m. — Special Needs Lamb Show.
• 5 p.m. — Market Lamb Show.
• 7:30 p.m. — Market Lamb Sale.
Thursday, Sept. 19
• 6 p.m. — 4-H Junior Dog Show. This is a youth show is open to youth ages 5-19. Dogs must be leash and at least 4 months old. All dogs must be current on vaccinations. Registration begins at 5 p.m. and all must be registered by 5:30 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 20
• 4 p.m. — Dairy Judging Contest.
• 7 p.m. — Dairy Dress-up Contest.
Saturday, Sept. 21
• 1 p.m. — Dairy Show. This is the largest county fair dairy show in North Carolina.
• 11:30 p.m. — Fair officially closes.
Sunday, Sept. 22
• 2-4 p.m. — All general exhibits will be released. Entries not picked up will be left unattended.