Best wine? Dixie Classic Fair picks winners
WINSTON-SALEM — The Dixie Classic Fair, the second-largest agricultural fair in North Carolina, Monday announced Best-in-Show and category winners for the 2013 Mid-Atlantic Southeastern Wine Competition.
The Mid-Atlantic Southeastern Wine Competition began in 1995 and is open to any commercial vineyard, winery or amateur winemaker in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia or West Virginia. Now in its 14th year, the competition continues to increase in popularity as the wine industry in the Southeastern United States grows. In the past five years, the number of competitive entries has grown by more than 150 percent, with 562 wines submitted for consideration in 2013.
Best-in-Show and category winners for 2013 include:
• Best white dry (commercial only): Shadow Springs Vineyard, Hamptonville, Sunlight – dry proprietary blend.
• Best red dry (commercial only): Grandfather Vineyard & Winery, Banner Elk, Legacy – dry proprietary blend.
• Best white sweet (commercial only): Georgia Winery, Ringgold, Ga., Pretty In Pink – sparkling muscadine Concord.
• Best red sweet (commercial only): Adams Vineyards, Willow Springs, Matthew Red – semi-sweet red.
• Best dessert & fruit (commercial only): Stephens Vineyard, Lumberton, Apple Fruit.
• Best amateur: Windy Coast Winery, Wilmington, Tobago Cays White – white muscadine.
• Best of Show: Grandfather Vineyard & Winery, Banner Elk, Legacy – dry proprietary blend.
Placement of individual Gold, Silver and Bronze medal winners for each category are still being determined based on points earned during judging and will be announced once available.
“Once again, the Mid-Atlantic Southeastern Wine Competition enjoyed a tremendous competition in 2013, with more wineries choosing to ‘Go Fer’ the gold than ever before,” said Jim Collins, wine superintendent and coordinator of The Dixie Classic Fair’s wine competitions. “The judging of our entries was very difficult this year as hundreds of quality wines were submitted. We’d like to congratulate this year’s Best-in-Show and category winners and look forward to announcing the competition’s full results in the near future.”