Town Crier Community Events Aug. 5-11
Today, Aug. 5
• Blood drive features build-your-own ice cream sundaes, 2-6:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church Kannapolis will host an American Red Cross Blood Drive, 201 Vance St. Appointments encouraged at 704-938-4623, www.RedCrossBlood.org and enter Sponsor Code: First Presbyterian Kannapolis.
• Rowan County Commissioners, 3 p.m., 130 W. Innes St.
• Cabarrus County Commissioners, 3:30 p.m., Cabarrus County Governmental Center, 65 Church St., SE, Concord.
• East Spencer Aldermen, 6:30 p.m., Town Hall, 105 S. Long St., East Spencer.
• Landis Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 312 S. Main St., Landis.
• Cleveland Town Commissioners, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 302 E. Main St.
• Granite Quarry Aldermen, 7 p.m., Municipal Building, 143 N. Salisbury Ave., Granite Quarry.
Democratic Women of Rowan County, 7 p.m., Politically active men and women discuss issues and plan activities. Rail Walk Gallery, 409 E. Lee St.
• Harold B. Jarrett American Legion, dinner 7 p.m., meeting follows meal.
• ‘Push Em Back, Push Em Back, Way Back,’ 7 p.m., a look at the history of Kannapolis high school football in Kannapolis. By Kannapolis History Associates. Info: 704-932-6125 ext 412
Tuesday, Aug. 6
• Rowan Parkinson’s support group, 1 p.m., First Presbyterian Church Education Building, Fisher St. 704-633-3181.
• Diabetes afternoon support group, 2-3 p.m., Education Resource Center, Clay Classroom. Free. 704-210-5771.
• Salisbury City Council, 4 p.m., City Hall, 217 S. Main St. (Shown on Access16 Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays at 9 a.m., 3 p.m., 8 p.m.)
• Free shred event in Landis, 5-8 p.m., Lake Corriher Wilderness Area across from South Rowan Library and South Rowan YMCA (955 Kimball Road, China Grove). Sponsored by Local Government Federal Credit Union. Limit three document boxes or 75 lbs of paper per attendee. Information email@example.com
• Rowan County Veteran Council, 6:30 p.m., for location call Homer 704-636-5688 or Hercules 704-798-2032.
• Cancelled: China Grove Town Board 7 p.m. meeting; next meeting Sept. 10, one week later than normal.
• Bariatric support group, 7-8 p.m., RRMC classroom A2A. Suzie Dinse, RN, 704-210-5474.
Wednesday, Aug. 7
• Salisbury City Council Committee to discuss Land Development Ordinance Text Amendment TA-04-2013, Chapter 8, Landscaping, meets 8 a.m. at One Stop Shop Conference Room, 132 N. Main St.
• Salisbury Farmers Market, 8 a.m.-noon, at West Fisher and South Jackson streets.
• Note: Salisbury Community Appearance Commission meets 3 p.m. to discuss Municipal Service District, Innes St. Grant requests. 217 S. Main St. Council Chamber.
• Notice of public meeting: former members of the former Uwharrie Regional Resources Commission, 4 p.m., Room 202 of Conference Center at DCCC, 297 DCCC Road, Lexington.
Thursday, Aug. 8
• People Growing Together Toastmasters, 5:30 p.m., J.F. Hurley YMCA, 828 Jake Alexander Blvd. West.
• Salisbury Historic Preservation Commission, 5:15 p.m., City Council Chambers.
• Fulton Masonic Lodge Stated Communications, 6 p.m. dinner, 7 p.m. meeting.
• Circle of Hope support group for parents grieving the loss of a child, 7-8:30 p.m., 2290 Statesville Boulevard. Lori Yang, 704-630-0319.
• Rowan Epilepsy support group, 7 p.ms. FUMC media room, 217 S. Church St., 704-639-0847, firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday, Aug. 9
• China Grove Farmers Market, 4-7 p.m., China Grove Roller Mill. 308 N. Main St., every Friday.
• Heavenly hotdog sale, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Mt. Olivet UMC, 301 Mt. Olivet Road, Concord, 704-782-8846.
• Summer Night Out/Brick Street Live with Darrell Harwood, 5-9 p.m., concert at 7 p.m., free trolley rides, live music, kids activities. www.visitsalisburync.com
• Tomato Trot 5k evening run and walk — 7 p.m., 6th annual Tomato Trot 5k, all new course. $20 in advance, $25 day of race. Woodleaf. Email: email@example.com, www.sportoften.com, 704-224-5134.
• Bluegrass open jam, 7-9 p.m., E. H. Montgomery General Store, Gold Hill, 704-267-9439.
Saturday, Aug. 10
• Salisbury Farmers Market – 8 a.m., at West Fisher and South Jackson streets.
• Lexington Farmers Market, 8 a.m.-noon, Historic Southern Rail and Freight Depot, 129 Railroad St., Lexington.
• Goldmine Toastmasters, 8:30 a.m., Fairfield Inn, 30330 Cloverleaf Plaza, Kannapolis.
• Stained Glass Trolley Tour, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Downtown Salisbury tour of historic stained glass with docent at each location. Return to Center for Faith & the Arts for lunch. Reservations, advance payment required, $20, www.faithart.org/events.html
• NC Transportation Museum events. Learn the art of train modeling at various clinics. Also: the Annual All GM Show features classic to modern, begins 9 a.m., awards at noon. Regular museum admission for spectators. 704-636-2889, www.nctrans.org
• Gold Hill’s Country Fresh Market, 1-5 p.m., at File Antique Store in the Village.
• Kannapolis cruise-in, 3:30-9:30 p.m., Downtown Kannapolis. 704-932-3808 or Facebook