County Manager: ‘Good likelihood’ proposed state budget will increase school funding

SALISBURY — A proposed state budget is expected to restore at least some of the $225,000 in budget cuts Rowan-Salisbury schools suffered, County Manager Gary Page said Monday.

In a 3-2 vote last month, commissioners approved the budget cutback — but with the exception that if an approved state budget provided the county with any additional revenue, the amount, up to $225,000, would go to restoring the schools budget.


If fully restored, Page said, Rowan-Salisbury schools would see the same budget as last year.

“There’s a good likelihood that, by the budget being approved yesterday, that Rowan County will gain revenue which will allow us to fund up to the $225,000 and hold the schools harmless,” Page said.

In emails to county administrators across the state, the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners notified managers last week of the anticipated outcome from the budget compromise.

“The House and Senate came to an agreement on tax reform Monday, and I am pleased to let you know that the approved plan will not negatively impact county revenues,” Executive Director David Thompson said in an email. “In fact, we expect to see a slight increase in county revenues once the plan is approved this week and eventually implemented. According to estimates from the General Assembly, revenues to local governments should increase by more than $14 million for 2013-14 and more than $36 million in 2014-15.”

But Page stressed that Rowan will only see a slice of the full revenue amount, as it’s expected to be divided among the counties by population.

“We’ll get an increase,” he said, “but I don’t know what the gain is yet.”

Still, public educators are likely to see significant cuts in other areas.

The proposed plan would cut $260 million from public schools, community colleges and the University of North Carolina system — down to $11.5 billion of the $20.6 billion budget — and another $222 million next year.

The plan would also dismantle the current teacher tenure system, wherein teachers were given tenure after the first four years of employment, and cut about one-fifth of the funding for teaching assistants, or about 3,800 positions, the Associated Press reported.

Contact reporter Nathan Hardin at 704-797-4246.

Notice about comments:

Salisburypost.com is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Salisburypost.com cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Salisburypost.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.