Area Sports Briefs: Rowan vs. Kernersville
From staff reports
Rowan County will play Kernersville in third round of the American Legion Area III playoffs.
Rowan will host Game 1 tonight at 7 p.m. at Newman Park.
The winner of the best-of-five series advances to the Area III championship series and secures a berth in the state tournament in Wilson.
Kernersville had to win twice on Saturday and did so, sweeping a doubleheader from High Point by 6-3 and 7-5 scores to win the series three games to two.
Rowan would also host games 3 and 5 in the series. Rowan would travel to Kernersville’s home park (East Forsyth High) for games 2 and 4.
It’s a high-profile third-round series, as both programs won recent state championships and both went on to win the Southeast Regional for a World Series trip.
Rowan did it in 2009, while Kernersville accomplished the feat in 2010.
Rowan (22-9) has won 13 straight games. Kernersville is 26-6.
• The Mooresville Moors came back in their series on Saturday and won twice against Stanly County by scores of 5-3 and 6-5 (in 10 innings) to take the series three games to two.
Mooresville got strong pitching in the opener from Jamie Anderson and Michael Elwell.
Blade Best pitched eight strong inings in the nightcap before Stanly rallied against Elwell in the ninth.
Seth Hubbard had the game-winning hit in the 10th inning of Game 5.
The Moors will host Game 1 of their third--round series against Randolph County tonight.
West Rowan lost 7-3 at Kernersville in the first game of a best-of-three third-round series on Saturday.
Micah Marsh had a double and two RBIs to lead West.
Wests hosts Kernersville tonight at 7 p.m.
Kannapolis won 6-0 against Greensboro on Saturday on a rainy turn-back-the-clock night.
The Intimidators wore red Boll Weevils uniforms and blue and red caps to match. Fans donned in Boll Weevils attire received tickets at the 1999 price of only $5 for reserved tickets.
Michael Recchia (4-0) dominated on the mound for seven innings and struck out eight Grasshoppers.
Jason Coats led the offense with a two-run homer.
The teams play again today at 5:05 at CMC-NorthEast Stadium.
• Jordan Jankowski (Catawba) pitched seven scoreless innings on Saturday in a Midwest League game, although he didn’t figure in the decision.
Chip Lynn won for the first time on the eGolf Tour, taking the Southern Open at The Club at Irish Creek by four shots.
Lynn shot 66-65-66-68 — 265 to finish 19-under. He won $18,500.
Tying for 10th place at 10-under, Salisbury’s Frank Adams shot a final=round 67. Adams won $2,500.
Will Collins (Salisbury) tied for 34th at 3-under. He shot a final-round 70 and won $1,275.
• Roy Dixon III (Salisbury) shot 77 in the third round of the Carolinas Amateur at Kiawah Island.
Dixon is at 9-over 225. He’s tied for 25th, 11 shots off the pace.
The China Grove 9U all-stars beat Matthews 7-6 in the Western NC Tournament in Bunker Hill.
China Grove stayed in the winners bracket and plays Monday at 6 p.m.
• East Rowan’s 9U all-stars beat Stewards of the Game 7-3 and beat South Buncombe 15-2.
• East Rowan’s 12U all-stars lost to Indian Trail on Friday.
• The North Carolina Snipers won 10-5 against the Texas Tejanos in Saturday’s 8U championship game in DisneyWorld’s Salute to Baseball international tournament.