Area Sports Briefs:
From staff reports
John J. Tuttle (A.L. Brown, Catawba) continues to have a spectacular summer for the Asheboro Copperheads of the Coastal Plain League.
Tuttle is 4-0 with an ERA of 0.00. He’s thrown 28 straight scoreless innings.
Opposing batters are hitting .133 against the right-hander, who is a rising senior at Catawba, who has allowed just 13 hits.
Tuttle was 2-4 for the Copperheads last summer, although that record was in spite of a 1.83 ERA.
Catawba was 10-4 as a Catawba junior.
Concord beat Kannapolis 5-3 on Thursday.
Kannapolis, 0-8 in division play, is the Area III team that won’t make the playoffs. Concord is likely headed for a Southeast Division first-round series with Rowan County.
• Southern Rowan has a doubleheader today — this afternoon at 1:45 p.m. at home against Concord (the teams were washed out Thursday) and at Stanly tonight at 7.
• Rowan is home against Concord tonight at 7.
• Mocksville beat Wilkes County 11-6 Thursday and is the second place team in the Southwest Division.
The Mooresville Moors won the Southwest Division with a 6-0 record.
• Kernersville won the Northwest Division with a 5-1 record. See Scoreboard.
• The Area III All-Star game is at Asheboro’s McCrary Park on Saturday at 6:30 p.m.
• The first round of the playoffs starts July 2. The best-of-five series starts with the higher seeded team at home.
Rowan County Jr. Legion beat South Rowan 12-3 on Thursday. Harrison Bell got the win on the mound. Jackson Justus had two hits.
Rowan plays Davidson County at Holt-Moffitt Field tonight.
Catawba pitcher Carley Tysinge was named to the North Carolina Collegiate Sports Information Association College Division All-State team.
Tysinger was Catawba’s first Division II All-American. She ranked fourth nationally with 324 strikeouts and threw 10 shutouts.
Ben Childress and Michael Childress played in the Tarheel Youth Golf Association tournament at the Stanly County Country Club on Thursday, June 27.
Ben Childress finished fourth in the 11-under age group, shooting 53 for nine holes. Michael Childress won the 12-13 age group by shooting 75 for 18 holes.
• In a Junior Mac Summer Series tournament at McCanless on Thursday, Alex Miller shot 43 for nine holes for first place. Second was Ben Rollins, who also shot 43. Jacob Durham shot 44 and won the longest drive.
The next Junior Mac event is at 2 p.m. on July 11.
The Rowan Little League Majors All-Stars were announced. Team members are Cade Bernhardt, Daniel Durham, Cameron Graham. Cole Hales, Mark Livengood, Ethan McGee, Cole Myers, Jake Perez, Bo Rusher, Blaine Shellhorn, Olen Stamper, Payne Stolsworth and Luke Waggoner.
Bobby Rusher is the manager. Coaches are Rob Hales and Jeff Bernhardt.
Rowan starts District II play on Saturday at 4 p.m. at Winston-Salem National.
After an 88-minute delay, Kannapolis lost to Greenville 9-5 on Thursday.