Area Sports Briefs
Rowan County opens American Legion play at home tonight at Newman Park with a 7 p.m. game against the Mooresville Legends.
Rowan has several college players returning.
Southern Rowan, piloted by Ben Hampton and Chris Cauble, opens on May 21 against Mooresville Post 66 at Lake Norman.
Kannapolis opens Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m. at Northwest Cabarrus High against Davidson County.
See Scoreboard for Rowan, Southern Rowan and Kannapolis schedules.
Hagerstown scored five runs in the first inning and held off the Kannapolis Intimidators 9-7 on Friday.
Micah Johnson stole his 37th base for the Intimidators (14-24). Patrick Palmeiro and Justin Jirschele had two RBIs each.
The teams play again tonight at CMC-NorthEast Stadium at 7:05 p.m.
• Jerry Sands (Catawba) went 2-for-3 and had a triple on Friday for Indianapolis. He bumped his batting average to .167 and drove in his 11th run.
In the EGolf Tour’s Palisades Classic in Charlotte, Will Collins (Salisbury) fired a 64 on Friday and finished sixth.
Collins shot 68 and 69 the first two days and was 15-under (201) for the event.
He finished four shots off the pace and won $3,500.
Salisbury’s Frank Adam III shot 70-70-69 — 209. He was 7-under and tied for 27th.
Adams won $1,137.50.
Robinson won 14-3 against North Iredell in a third-round 3A game on Friday.
Robinson will play at Marvin Ridge in the fourth round.
• North Davidson kept rolling in the 4A playoffs with a 4-0 win against Southern Alamance.
• On Thursday, Alexander Central ousted Lake Norman by a footballish 14-8 score.
Asheboro lost 9-1 at Marvin Ridge in the 3A playoffs three days after knocking out Carson.
• South Point, which had lost only game, was knocked out of the 3A playoffs with a 5-2 loss to Hickory on Friday.
• West Forsyth won again in the 4A playoffs on Friday.
The Western Forsyth Legion team is scheduled to play at Rowan on Sunday.
New York Mets reliever Bobby Parnell kept rolling on Friday. Parnell earned his fifth save in a 3-2 win vs. the Cubs.
In the Southeast Regional being played at Mount Olive, SAC tournament champ Lincoln Memorial and Armstrong were eliminated on Saturday.
Mount Olive and Coker are still unbeaten after two days in the double-elimination event.
• Army and Jon Crucitti (West Rowan) start the Patriot League Championship series at Holy Cross on Monday.
• Junior Justin Seager (NW Cabarrus) leads the Charlotte 49ers with a .360 batting average and is a potential draft pick. Seager’s on-base percentage is .456, and he has 21 doubles.
Charlotte’s Justin Roland is sidelined with an injury.
Charlotte will be the host for the Atlantic 10 tournament.
Golden Eagle camps
East Davidson baseball and softball camps are coming up in June. The cost is $60 and includes insurance, T-shirt and snacks. Camp ages are 7-16.
Camp dates are June 17-21 for baseball at East Davidson and June 17-20 for softball at Brown Middle School. Contact Dan Tricarico at 336-476-7633.