Summer Fun-Camps at Doll museum, more
Day Camps at Spencer Doll and Toy Museum
Spencer Doll and Toy Museum, 108 Fourth St., Spencer, 704-762-9359. Please bring a lunch; snacks are provided. Register at 704-762-9359 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Thursday, June 6: Theatre Class for Beginners, ages 6-12. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., cost $35. Limited to 10 campers. This beginner class is designed to be a child’s first introduction to performing arts. Students will participate in theater games, improvisation and mime. They will also create their own finger puppets. These classes are a way to learn confidence, self-esteem and good listening skills. RSVP by Wednesday, June 5.
• Thursday, June 13: Passion for Fashion, ages 6-12. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., cost $35. Limited to 10 campers. Come be a supermodel for the day. Learn about fashion, the “beauty walk” and public speaking while participating in an afternoon fashion show. Have fun as you discover how to make your own lip gloss and hair pins. Bring a white T-shirt for lots of design fun. RSVP by Wednesday, June 12.
• Thursday, June 20: SuperHero Day Camp for Boys and Girls. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., cost $35. Limited to 10 campers. Superheroes of the world unite and help us save the world SDTM style. Come dressed as your favorite superhero. Create your own comic book, enjoy music and more. RSVP by Wednesday, June 19.
• Thursday, June 27: Paper Dolls: Timeless Appeal in a Modern Age, ages 6-12. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., cost $35. Limited to 10 campers. This day camp begins with a short tour of French fashion and modern fashion dolls which illustrate the extravagances of fashionable ladies and gentlemen throughout time. Children will be inspired to create their own fashions in a paper doll workshop using a variety of decorative papers and colorful trimmings. And everyone will play the Paper Doll Game. RSVP by Wednesday, June 26.
• Thursday, July 11 – Trains, Planes and Automobiles Day Camp, ages 6-12. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., cost $35. Limited to 10 campers. Campers will put their transportation knowledge to the test as they explore the world of planes, trains and automobiles while making crafts and enjoying games. Take a turn at driving one of our five model trains, build a model train with scenery to take home. You’ll even get to meet a real railroader and learn about his job. RSVP by Wednesday, July 10.
• Thursday, July 18 – Adventures in Art, ages 6-12. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., cost $35. Limited to 10 campers. Join us for a day full of art. You’ll get to be creative and imaginative as we explore all types of art including paper mache, painting, drawing and more. Explore the antique and vintage toys and the artistic designs that made them fun. RSVP by Wednesday, July 17.
• Thursday, July 25 - Recycle It! Ages 6-12. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., cost $35. Limited to 10 campers. Use your imagination to the hilt to create your own dollhouse furniture out of a wide array of recycled materials, and learn first-hand about resourcefulness and recycling throughout history. RSVP by Wednesday, July 24.
• Thursday, Aug. 1 – Don’t Loose Your Marbles, ages 6-12. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., cost $35. Limited to 10 campers. Go back to a time before electronic toys were popular. Learn about timeless toys and how to play the marble game of Ringer. Receive a bag of your own marbles to compete for the grand prize and bragging rights as the winner of our Marbles Tournament. RSVP by Wednesday, July 31.
• Thursday, Aug. 8 – Miniature Masterpieces to the Max, ages 6-12. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., cost $35. Limited to 10 campers. Join us for a day of mini-merriment. Participants will enjoy a tour of the miniatures exhibit and a gallery discussions. RSVP by Wednesday, Aug. 7.
• Thursday, Aug. 15 – Journal It, ages 6-12. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., cost $35. Limited to 10 campers. Nettie Wells, a Kansas City girl born in the 1880s, left behind a charming dollhouse and journals and flashcards recording her play. Hear her story and make a miniature journal just like the one in the exhibit to write down your own adventures. RSVP by Wednesday, Aug. 14.
• Saturday, June 22 –Teddy Bear Tea Party. Do you want to know the history of the teddy bear? Bring your teddy bear in and learn all about it. You’ll have an afternoon of fun and yummy treats. $12 per person.
• Saturday, July 13: Toy Soldiers in Motion. Free with museum admission. 1 p.m., Presentation by S.C. Military Miniature Society. Free craft for kids — paint your own toy soldier.
North Hills Christian School
The following camps are offered for rising JK- 6th grade students. The registration deadline for the camps is May 15.
• Water Week May 27-31. Enjoy a wacky, wet and wild week of getting drenched and loving it. Monday–Thursday, 2-4 p.m. and Friday will feature a visit to the splash pad in Kannapolis (extended day 1–5 p.m.) Since this camp must occur after lunch in order to take advantage of the heat, no meals are included. $55
• Family Camp-Out June 3-7. Kick off the summer with a cookout. On Friday, families will be invited to pitch a tent and camp out on the NHCS grounds (bathrooms and showers available) Monday–Friday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Lunches included. Overnight family camp out, 7 p.m. on Friday through 10 a.m. on Saturday; $60.
• Camp Invention June 10-14. NHCS will host “Camp Invention,” a hands-on science inquiry camp sponsored by the STEM organization (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.) Ask about the “bring a friend” discount. For more information and to register, contact the Camp Invention Headquarters directly at 1-800-968-4332 or visit their website at www.campinvention.org.
• Art Camp June 17-21. Create a masterpiece each day from pottery to paintings. Monday–Thursday, 11 a.m.- p.m. and a full day field trip on Friday (8 a.m.-3 p.m.). Camp includes supplies, lunches, museum admission and extended day on Friday. $80.
• Photography Camp June 24-28. Enjoy both the technical and the fun aspects of capturing a photograph. Students will learn about shutter speed, aperture and composition and they will enjoy participating in various photo scavenger hunts. Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Lunches included. A digital camera is required; $60.
The registration deadline for the camps below is May 24.
• Drama Camp July 8-12. Students will rehearse during the week and perform a mini-play before a live (parent) audience on Friday night. This camp includes a tour of a local theater. Monday-Friday 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Lunches and field trip included; $60.
• Grossology Camp July 15-19. Learn about science through with things that are just plain nasty. Campers will experiment with growing bacteria off swabs from water fountain heads to making slime and volcanoes and much more. Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Lunches and supplies included; $60.
• Basketball Camp July 22-26. This camp, led by North Hills Christian School high school athletes, will focus on teaching the skills and drills needed to participate in a competitive athletics program. This fun-filled camp will end with a tournament on Friday. Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Lunches and camp T-shirt included; $70.
• CSI Camp July 29-Aug. 2. After learning about forensics and other sciences used by investigators, students will work in teams to solve a “crime” each day. Monday-Friday 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Lunches and supplies included; $60.
• Animal Camp Aug. 5-9. Come dressed as your favorite animal, and be prepared to learn all about the amazing creatures God has made. The week includes a “pet parade” and a trip to the Lazy Five Ranch on Friday. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and a field trip on Friday, 8 a.m.-3p.m. Lunches, field trip and extended care for Friday are included; $70. Before and after care is available 7:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m. for $3.35 per hour.
For more information and to register, visit the school’s website at www.northhillschristian.com or contact Jill Jones at 704-636-3005 ext. 302 or email her at email@example.com. North Hills is located at 2970 W. Innes St. in Salisbury.
Historic Latta Plantation
CHARLOTTE — Historic Latta Plantation offers several themed summer day camps for children. The historic site is nestled in the 1,342 acre Latta Plantation Nature Preserve. For more information on camps, visit www.lattaplantation.org and click on Children Camps.
Historic Latta Plantation, 5225 Sample Road, Huntersville, 704-875-2312.