Town Crier Community Events May 6-12
Today, May 6
• Rowan County Board of Commissioners, 3 p.m., 130 W. Innes St.
• Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners, 3:30 p.m., Cabarrus County Governmental Center, 65 Church St., SE, Concord.
• Spring Photowalk, 6 p.m., RPL East Branch (Rockwell). Free, pre-registration required. 704-216-8229, www.rowanpubliclibrary.org
• East Spencer Board of Aldermen, 6:30 p.m., Town Hall, 105 S. Long St., East Spencer.
• Landis Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 312 S. Main St., Landis.
• Cleveland Town Board of Commissioners, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 302 E. Main St.
• Granite Quarry Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Municipal Building, 143 N. Salisbury Ave., Granite Quarry.
• Harold B. Jarrett American Legion, dinner 7 p.m., meeting follows meal.
• Kannapolis History Associates — 7 p.m., Memory lane visit to The Gem, The Swanee, The Main, The Dixie, The Palace, The Colonial, The Trans Lux. At A.L, Brown HS. 704-932-6125 x 412.
Tuesday, May 7
• Salisbury Tourism/Cultural Devel. Comm., Rowan County TDA Exec Cmte/Salisbury TDA Organizational Cmte, 1 p.m., Tuesday, May 7, 2013, Gateway Building, 204 E. Innes St.
• Rowan Parkinson’s support group, 1 p.m., First Presbyterian Church Education Building, Fisher St. 704-633-3181.
• Diabetes support group, 2 p.m., Education Resource Center, RRMC patient tower fourth floor. Free. 704-210-5771.
• Salisbury City Council, 4 p.m., City Hall, 217 S. Main St.)
• Rowan County Veteran Council, 6:30 p.m., for location call Homer 704-636-5688 or Hercules 704-798-2032.
• China Grove Town Board, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 333 N. Main St., China Grove .
• Bariatric support group, 7-8 p.m., RRMC classroom A2A. Suzie Dinse, RN, 704-210-5474.
Wednesday, May 8
• Salisbury Farmers Market, 7 a.m.-noon, at West Fisher and South Jackson streets.
• Public Art Committee, 8:30 a.m., Gateway Building first floor conference room.
• Salisbury Tourism, Cultural Development Commission, 11 a.m., 204 E. Innes St., Gateway Building.
Thursday, May 9
• Salisbury Historic Preservation Commission, 5:15 p.m., City Council Chambers.
• Fulton Masonic Lodge Stated Communications, 6 p.m. dinner, 7 p.m. meeting.
• American Association of University Women, 6:30 p.m., Trinity Oaks, 728 Klumac Road. Brunetta Franklin, 704-798-2574.
• Circle of Hope support group, 7-8:30 p.m., 2290 Statesville Boulevard. Lori Yang, 704-630-0319.
• Rowan Epilepsy support group, 7 p.m. , FUMC, 217 S. Church St., 704-639-0847, email@example.com
• Opening night for PPT’s ‘Treasure Island,’ 7:30 p.m., free reception following opening performance. Shows also on Friday, Saturday nights. Adults $12, seniors/students $10. Norvell Theater, 135 E. Fisher St., 704-633-5471, PiedmontPlayers.com
Friday, May 10
• Heavenly hotdog sale, Mt. Olivet UMC, 301 Mt. Olivet Road, Concord, 704-782-8846.
• China Grove Farmers Market, 4-7 p.m., China Grove Roller Mill, 308 N. Main St.
• Salisbury Super Strings youth string ensemble performance, 4:15 p.m., Oak Park Retirement Center.
• Downtown Salisbury Spring Night Out, 5-9 p.m., downtown entertainment and activities, Jeremy and Jess Vess, Tim Clark Band, Kid’s Zone, classic car show, free trolley rides.
• Jiggy with the Piggy Barbecue Challenge, 7-9 p.m., also country artist Parmalee, fireworks. Downtown Kannapolis, Village Park, 700 West C St.
• Bluegrass open jam, 7-9 p.m., E. H. Montgomery General Store, Gold Hill, 704-267-9439.
Saturday, May 11
• Salisbury-Rowan Farmers Market – 7 a.m., at West Fisher and South Jackson streets.
• Amtrak celebrates National Train Day, 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Kannapolis Train Station, 201 S. Main St., face painting, cake, clown, storytelling.
• Goldmine Toastmasters, 8:30 a.m., Fairfield Inn, 30330 Cloverleaf Plaza, Kannapolis
• NC Music Hall of Fame’s Rhythm & Run 5K, 9 a.m., Downtown Kannapolis.
• 34th annual Village Fest, food and craft vendors, kid’s zone, car show, more. Downtown Kannapolis.
• Gold Hill Gold Rush Days, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.,arts, crafts, heritage exhibits, music, gold panning. Village of Gold Hill.
• Jiggy with the Piggy Barbecue Challenge continues, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Downtown Kannapolis.
• Salisbury Historic trolley tour, 11 a.m. Tours begin and end at Visitor’s Center, 204 E. Innes St., www.visitsalisburync.com
• Grace Academy’s May Festival, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., food, games, music, bounce houses, horse rides, more to benefit the Abrams family, rain or shine. Grace Academy, 6725 Highway 152 East, Rockwell.
• Sesquicentennial lecture on The Confederate Congress, 2 p.m., free, sponsored by Robert F. Hoke Chapter 78, UDC, in RPL Stanback Auditorium with history professor Mark Sattler. Info Sue Curtis , 704-637-6411, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Astronomical Society of Rowan, 7:30 p.m., 1920 Deal Road, Mooresville. Stargazing, weather permitting. Ralph and Alice Deal, 704-855-1591 or 704-857-2788.
Sunday, May 12
• PPT’s ‘Treasure Island’ matinee, 2:30 p.m., Adults $12, seniors/students $10. Norvell Theater, 135 E. Fisher St., 704-633-5471, PiedmontPlayers.com