Withrows Creek Lane home catches fire while homeowners out of town
Authorities have not determined the cause of an afternoon fire that destroyed a home on Withrows Creek Lane on Tuesday. Multiple fire departments responded to the scene in the Steele area, just outside Mount Ulla, off N.C. 801.
Neighbors say the homeowners, Ken and Janet Johnson, were out of town, but had been called with the news. The fire began before 4 p.m. and neighbors say shortly after there were a few sparks and small explosions. Andy Echerd and his wife Betty Lou saw the fire not long after it began. Betty Lou called 911. Andy said he was in his barn on the other side of the home, through the woods.
Betty Lou told her husband she saw dark smoke. Andy walked up to the front lawn of the home and watched as firefighters extinguished hot spots.
The home was so far off N.C. 801 that several fire departments had to connect nearly a half-mile of hose so firefighters could feed water closer to the home.
West Rowan, Atwell, Locke, Franklin, Cleveland Fire Departments responded, along with Rowan County Rescue Squad, Rowan EMS and the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
Fire Marshal Aaron Youngblood said investigators would return to the scene today. One firefighter was transported to Rowan Regional Medical Center with chest pains.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253. Twitter: www.twitter.com/salpostpotts Facebook: www.facebook.com/Shavonne.SalisburyPost