Child dies in house fire on Davis Street

  • Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:09 a.m.
    UPDATED: Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:39 p.m.
Andy Morrissey/Salisbury Post The house in Davis Street where a 2-year-old died in an early morning fire.
Andy Morrissey/Salisbury Post The house in Davis Street where a 2-year-old died in an early morning fire.

Salisbury Fire Chief Bob Parnell said during a Thursday morning press conference the cause of an early morning fire that claimed the life of a 2-year-old boy was an electric fan the family was using. Parnell did not disclose the child or the family's name, he said, pending notification of other family members. He did not say how the child became separated from the rest of the family.

A neighbor, Heather, who asked to be identified only by her first name, received a knock on the door from a family member. Heather's sister called 911 while she jumped a metal fence to get to the home. The teen went to a back bedroom that she was told the toddler was in and punched through a window with her right hand. She told a Post reporter the smoke was black and she could not see. The teen was unable to go inside the home. Shortly after the teen tried to get inside, Salisbury Police Lt. Greg Beam arrived at the home, located off Morlan Park Road. Authorities said Beam went inside to rescue the child, but the child was already deceased by the time the officer reached him.

Fire crews arrived on the scene after the child was reported trapped in the burning home at 1207 Davis St. just before 1 this morning.

Beam was able to recover the child's body from the home, said Salisbury Police Lt. Brian Stallings.

Beam and a grandfather were reported suffering from smoke inhalation at the scene. Stallings said the grandfather was overcome by smoke. Three adults and three children reportedly lived in the home.

Fire crews were removed from the structure just after 1 a.m. and moved to a defensive mode in battling the blaze. They later gained control and were able to go back in to survey the scene and make sure no one else was inside.

The fire is under investigation, but no criminal activity is suspected.

Notice about comments: is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.