Residents share opinions on prayer at Rowan commission meeting

  • Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 1:38 a.m.

SALISBURY — Just moments after Rowan Commissioner Chad Mitchell capped a routine meeting invocation with a shout-out to Jesus, 17-year-old Emma Labovitz asked county leaders to stop using sectarian prayer at their meetings.

Fact Box

In other action

Rowan Commissioners also took the following action on several matters Monday, including:

• Voted unanimously to move Wellington Estates from Mt. Mitchell to Bostian Heights fire district.

Two residents spoke in support of the move and said it would reduce insurance rates.

• Voted 4-1 in favor of rezoning a stretch of U.S. 52 that included some residents and businesses.

The property was rezoned as commercial.

• Voted in favor of board appointments and accepted resignations from county employees.

• Voted to approve a Relay for Life event on May 4th. Commissioners approved a permit to allow the event to exceed noise ordinance standards.


“I’m not against prayer,” she said, with a shaky yet determined voice during the public comment part of the board’s meeting. “I’m not against people — I believe there’s a time and a place for everything.”


Labovitz’ dissent echoed the continued debate on the commissioners’ use of sectarian prayer that sparked a lawsuit from the ACLU and three local people last month and brought dozens to the podium in support of their beliefs two weeks ago.

Only four spoke at the Monday afternoon meeting, but the speakers couldn’t be more divided.

Labovitz, who is Jewish, was the last speaker following Salisbury residents Pete Prunkl, Larry Wright and William McCubbins, who says he is also Jewish.

McCubbins and Wright are avid supporters of the commissioners’ decision to continue praying in Jesus’ name despite the American Civil Liberties Union’s lawsuit filed in federal court.

McCubbins read scripture during his three-minute speech.

“I will be delivering the word of God to you people from this podium regardless of what the court says,” he said.

Wright, a frequent speaker, shared two anecdotes about times he has fought and won against the odds. He continued to advocate fighting the lawsuit.

Prunkl began by saying he supports the three Rowan residents named in the lawsuit — Nan Lund, Liesa Montag-Siegel and Robert Voelker.

He cited statistics from the Association of Religious Data Archives and argued that the majority of Rowan residents are “unclaimed,” in that they don’t associate with a particular religion,according to the site.

“I urge you gentlemen to draft and implement a policy that you open our government meetings with a moment of silence,” Prunkl said. “That one single act will forcibly demonstrate that you represent all of the people in this county, the claimed and the unclaimed.”

Commissioners did not discuss the lawsuit or respond to the citizens’ comments during the brief meeting.

Contact reporter Nathan Hardin at 704-797-4246.

Notice about comments:

Salisburypost.com is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Salisburypost.com cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Salisburypost.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.