Area Sports Briefs
From staff reports
The expanded, 10-team F&M Bank Classic will be held Thursday through Saturday, April 4-6, at CMC-NorthEast Stadium.
The format once again is a Rowan vs. Cabarrus challenge, with the county winning the most games receiving the Classic Cup.
Carson, West, East, South and Salisbury will represent Rowan in the event. A.L. Brown, Concord, Mt. Pleasant, Northwest Cabarrus and Robinson will represent Cabarrus.
Seven of the 10 teams in the event will be in the same 3A league when the realignment of prep conference comes this fall. Salisbury and Mount Pleasant will be in 2A leagues, while A.L. Brown will be 4A.
All 10 teams will play three games. Action will start daily at 9 a.m. Tickets are $6 for adults and $5 for students and seniors. Three-day tournament passes are available for $15 and $12, respectively.
The tournament will look somewhat different this year. East Rowan (5-8) and Northwest Cabarrus (4-9) have been conference champs in past years, but both have struggled to this point in the season.
NPC leader Carson (12-2) will enter the event on a roll, having won nine straight.
West Rowan (11-2) also in enjoying a banner season. The Falcons already have matched last season’s win total. West’s only two losses have been to Rowan opponents.
South Rowan (8-3) also is streaking entering the tournament. The Raiders have won four in a row, and they also haven’t lost to anyone except Rowan teams.
Salisbury (5-6) has won its last three outings.
Mount Pleasant (6-5) will have the best Cabarrus record entering the event. Other records are Robinson (5-6), Concord (3-8) and A.L. Brown (2-10).
The Cabarrus squads will boast outstanding individuals. Northwest infielder Tanner Bigham has signed with UNC, and Northwest first baseman Jordan Goodman is a Catawba signee. Robinson’s Philip Perry is headed to East Carolina. South Rowan catcher Eric Tyler also signed with ECU, while Salisbury’s versatile Brian Bauk signed with Appalachian State.
East Rowan’s Logan Shuping shot 77-75 — 152 to win the freshman/sophomore age division in the Tarheel Golf Foundation ACC Junior Championship.
The tournament was held at UNC and Duke.
Shuping finished second overall in the tournament, just one stroke behind the leader. His 75 tied him for the low round on the final day.
• In the eGolf Tour’s Championship at St. James Plantation, Salisbury’s Frank Adams III shot 74-73-77-71 — 295 and tied for 26th. Adams won $1,525.
Four Rowan Aquatic Club swimmers qualified for the YMCA Short Course Nationals that will be held in Greensboro.
All four qualified in five events, but the limit for the nationals is four.
Davie junior Quin Holland will compete in the 50 and 100 freestyle, the 100 backstroke and the 100 butterfly.
Davie senior Bailey Folmar will compete in the 100 and 200 free and 100 and 200 back. Salisbury junior Taylor Rodenhuis will compete in the 500 free, 400 IM and 100 and 200 butterfly. Salisbury junior McKenzie Stevens will compete in the 200 and 500 free and the 100 and 200 butterfly.
Ben Humphrey coaches the RAC swimmers at the Hurley YMCA.
Catawba freshman Carley Tysinger broke Catawba’s season record for strikeouts on Saturday as Catawba split a doubleheader with Tusculum.
Catawba lost 2-1 and won 6-1.
Tysinger (18-6) has fanned 238 batters.
•Campbell’s Ericka Nesbitt (East Rowan) has been out with an injury but is expected back this week.
• Belmont Abbey’s Samantha Jacobs (North Rowan) pitched a complete game in a 6-0 loss to North Greenville. Jacobs (4-7) allowed seven hits and struck out seven.
• Belmont Abbey’s Kaitlyn Jones (South Rowan) went 2-for-2 and scored a run in an 8-2 loss to North Greenville.
• Elon’s Chelsea White (East) pitched seven innings but took the loss on Friday in a 5-1 setback against UNC Greensboro. White (2-9) struck out five and allowed two earned runs.
•Bluefield’s Megan Meismer (Carson) doubled and scored a run in a 6-2 loss to Cumberland.
• North Carolina A&T’s Zebresha Blakeney (A.L. Brown) had two hits in a 6-4 loss to South Carolina State.
College men’s golf
Catawba tied for eighth out of 12 teams in the Campbell Oil Classic held in Wallace, N.C.
Matt Hardman shot 80-76-77 — 233 and Kyle Kegerreis shot 74-82-77 — 233 to lead Catawba. They tied for 30th.
College men’s lacrosse
Steven Ridolfo’s goal with 18 seconds left to play lifted Catawba to a 12-11 win against Rollins on Sunday.
Tom Cullop scored four goals for the Indians (5-6, 3-3 Deep South). John Scheich had four assists.
UNC Greensboro’s Caleb Henley (East Rowan) has posted a 1.93 ERA in 11 relief appearances.
• In Appalachian State’s 4-0 win against Wofford on Saturday, Noah Holmes (East) and Preston Troutman (East) had two hits each. Holmes had a double, while Troutman had his first triple of the season. Troutman also stole a base.
• Brandon Burris (Mount Pleasant) has had a hit in ASU’s last four games.
• UNC Pembroke’s Brett Huffman (West Rowan) homered in the Braves’ 6-1 win against North Georgia on Friday. It was Huffman’s third homer of the season.
Parks and Recreation
Salisbury Parks and Recreation is still accepting registrations for girls volleyball for ages 7-12.
Volunteer coaches are needed. Contact Lakai Brice at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-638-5289.