N.C. Board of Elections fines Ford camp $1,250 for late reports; Ford promises it won’t happen again

  • Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:09 a.m.

SALISBURY — N.C. Rep. Carl Ford, R-Rowan, says he hopes the State Board of Elections will waive $1,250 in fines his campaign committee faces for late financial report filings.

“It made me feel terrible,” Ford said Saturday night. “... It’s not going to happen again. Everything’s back to normal now.”


The Board of Elections issued its latest fines for not having received a fourth-quarter report from Ford’s campaign. The report was due Jan. 10.

Ford said he didn’t know about having missed any deadline or the penalties until Thursday around lunchtime.

Ford said the fourth-quarter report was then filed electronically by the end of the work day, and his campaign treasurer, Mark Dalton of Kannapolis, plans to write the Board of Elections a letter of explanation next week and promise it won’t happen again.

Ford said he also didn’t know his campaign had received a letter of non-compliance from the state because it went to Dalton’s office, not his.

“Mark apologized to me and said it was on a stack of stuff on his desk,” Ford explained. “... I had no idea. It just caught me off guard big time.”

Ford thinks the Board of Elections will consider waiving all or part of the fines once they understand what happened and recognize he’s up to date.

“I’ve never not filed a report,” he says. “This one was just late.”

The State Board of Elections reportedly has been sending out scores of non-compliance letters to various candidates, party committees and political action committees in North Carolina.

Rep. Beverly Earle, D-Mecklenburg, had her campaign committee shut down earlier this month because it hadn’t filed a third-quarter report (due Oct. 29, 2012), or signed a cover page to its fourth-quarter report.

Her committee faces $12,750 in filing penalties.

Contact Mark Wineka at 704-797-4263.

Commenting is not allowed on this article.