China Grove couple treated for smoke inhalation after house fire

  • Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:05 p.m.
    UPDATED: Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:06 a.m.

CHINA GROVE — A China Grove couple were examined at Novant Health Rowan Medical Center for smoke inhalation after fire swept through a middle bedroom in their South Main Street home early Saturday afternoon.

The couple rested for a considerable time in the back of a Rowan Rescue Squad unit, before hugging family members and walking easily to the back of a waiting Rowan County EMS ambulance, which took them to the hospital as a precaution.

China Grove Fire Chief Jeff Gledhill said the couple briefly tried to fight the fire in the bedroom on the north side of the house at 908 S. Main.

When firefighters arrived shortly after 12:50 p.m., dense smoke was coming from the bedroom windows on the north side.

Firefighters donned airpacks and fought the fire from the inside.

“We got it knocked down pretty quick,” Gledhill said.

Gledhill said there was fire damage in the bedroom and smoke damage through the rest of the house.

An electric blanket could have been on in the bedroom, but Gledhill said he wasn’t ready to say that was the cause of the fire.

The Rowan County Fire Marshal’s office was called in to investigate.

China Grove had assistance at the fire from the Landis, Bostian Heights, Locke and Atwell departments, besides the Rescue Squad and EMS.

The one-and-a-half-story house is located between Kirk and Thom streets, across from Kirk’s Lube and Brake Clinic.

Contact Mark Wineka at 704-797-4263.

Commenting is not allowed on this article.