Salisbury Civitans award scholarships
SALISBURY — For almost 60 years, the Civitan Club of Salisbury has been awarding scholarships to enable local students to achieve their academic goals. That tradition continued March 7 as the Civitan Club awarded scholarships totaling $12,000 during its annual Scholarship Day luncheon at the Country Club of Salisbury.
Eight local college and high school students were selected as recipients of the 2013 scholarships. The awards this year included five $1,500 college scholarships to students at Catawba College, Livingstone College and Rowan-Cabarrus Community College. Three high school awards of $1,500 each were also presented.
Coordinated by the Civitan Club’s Scholarship Committee and the Salisbury Civitan Club Charitable Foundation, the annual scholarships are funded through proceeds from club projects as well as income from the Charitable Foundation’s endowment. The faculty and department members at the three institutions select the five college award winners. The three high school scholarships are awarded based on a competitive application process, including an essay and a demonstration of service to the community. The Club Scholarship Committee selects winners with assistance from high school guidance departments.
“We feel this scholarship program is one of the best investments we can make as a service organization to our community,” said Civitan Club President Jennings Nelson. “It is important to recognize and encourage academic excellence and good citizenship in our young people.”
• The Dr. Walter Low Tatum Scholarships in Nursing is presented to two nursing students at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College. The winners include Emille Christa A. Santos of Landis, a first year LPN student in the practical nursing program; and Katherine “Katie” Beam of China Grove, who will graduate in 2014 from the associate degree nursing program at RCCC.
• The John Nelson Haden Scholarship in Music is presented annually to a music major at Catawba College. The 2013 winner is Blanche C. Schwarz. She is a senior from Statesville, majoring in sacred music.
• The Dr. Jack Knox Scholarship in Education is presented to an education major at Livingstone College. The 2013 winner is senior Marion V. Hart of Miami, Fla. She is an elementary education major.
• The Rev. Milton B. Faust Scholarship in Education is presented to a student in the teacher education program at Catawba College. Courtney Amber Frick, a senior elementary education major from Rockwell, is the 2013 winner.
• The Michael Yang Civitan Scholarship is presented annually to a senior at West Rowan High School. The 2013 winner is Mary A. Overcash, daughter of Susan and Donald Overcash of Mt. Ulla. She plans to attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill next year to pursue a degree in nursing.
• The Morton Lerner Memorial Civitan Scholarship is presented annually to a senior at Salisbury High School. The 2013 winner is Brock Overcash, son of Bryan and Meredith Overcash of Salisbury. He plans to attend Georgia Tech next fall to study computer science.
• The Clifford Peeler Humanitarian Scholarship is presented annually to a senior at Salisbury, North Rowan or West Rowan high schools or North Hills Christian School. The 2013 winner is Katelyn S. Storey, a senior at Salisbury High School. The daughter of Andy and Diana Storey of Salisbury, she plans to major in biology beginning next fall at UNC-Chapel Hill or Yale University.
The recipients, their family members and representatives of each school, joined members of the Civitan Club at the awards luncheon. Scholarship Committee Chairman Marny Hendrick presided. As part of the program, Hendrick gave an update on the club’s endowed scholarship established in 1997 at Catawba College in memory of longtime Civitan leader M.M. “Chub” Richards. Designated for therapeutic recreation majors, the endowment now exceeds $36,000 and has already benefited 12 students at Catawba.
For more information on the club scholarship program or to make a tax-deductible donation to the club’s charitable foundation, contact the Civitan Club of Salisbury at P.O. Box 171, Salisbury, NC 28145.