Fire destroys mobile home

  • Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 12:34 a.m.
A Cleveland firefighter surveys the remains of a mobile home in the Woodside community, off Hurley School Road, Sunday afternoon. No one was home when the fire broke out. Photo by Hugh Fisher.
A Cleveland firefighter surveys the remains of a mobile home in the Woodside community, off Hurley School Road, Sunday afternoon. No one was home when the fire broke out. Photo by Hugh Fisher.

SALISBURY — No cause was apparent in the Sunday afternoon fire that destroyed a mobile home at 225 Valley Dr. in the Woodside community off Hurley School Road.

The tenants, Vince Goodson and his two children, were not at home when the blaze broke out. No injuries were reported.


The fire call went out shortly after 5 p.m.

Neighbors flooded out of nearby homes to watch as fire engines from three departments — Locke, Cleveland and Franklin — roared through their subdivision.

“We saw the first fire truck go by, and when we came out, everything was on fire,” said Cassie Martin, who lives about 120 yards away from where the fire broke out off Benjamin Tott Lane.

Martin gathered her family and made ready to evacuate. The land between their home and Goodson’s is a wooded hill, full of brush and dry leaves.

Tanker trucks staged at the top of the hill at the entrance to the subdivision, and firefighters laid large hose lines.

Although the fire did spread to the edge of the woods behind the Goodson home, onlookers said firefighters had it under control quickly.

Friends said Goodson had been living in the Valley Drive home since October.

Hannah Thompson, who identified herself as the mother of Goodson’s children, said she and her parents came to the scene after seeing fire trucks heading into the neighborhood.

She, and others, called Goodson.

When he arrived, Goodson said he didn’t know how the fire might have started. He had been out of the home for some time.

Darrell Padgett, owner of the Woodside subdivision, said he believed the mobile home that burned dated from 1988.

“I’ve been out here 27 years and it’s the first one I’ve ever lost,” Padgett said of the burned home.

“The main thing is, nobody was in there,” Padgett said.

Some 30 neighbors from throughout the community came to see the fire.

Within an hour of the blaze, friends and family were making arrangements to care for Goodson and the kids.

“We can replace all their toys, clothes and everything,” said Gerald Blevins, Thompson’s father.

Locke Fire Chief Rusty Alexander said there was no apparent cause of the fire.

In addition to firefighters from the three companies, the Rowan County Rescue Squad also responded to the scene.

Contact Hugh Fisher via the editor’s desk at 704-797-4244.

Notice about comments:

Salisburypost.com is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Salisburypost.com cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Salisburypost.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.