Gospel sing and more coming up to benefit Relay for Life
SALISBURY — Entries to Relay For Life’s first Crock-Pot Crock-Star Wars at Tuesday’s team meeting were varied, with pasta dishes, potatoes and stews, along with sweets like brownies with walnuts as some of the offerings.
The sweets won out with an apple crumble creation from the team of Doran, Shelby, Pethel & Hudson, P.A., made by Debbie Rinehart taking first place in the voting. The prize was a team credit for all $240 in donations received for tasting and voting.
Speaker at the meeting was Wayne Brown, husband of former Relay Mission Chair Lybby Brown, who passed away in 2012.
More than $16,000 was turned in by teams, including donations, sponsorships and proceeds from fundraisers. This brings the Relay total to more than $74,000.
• On Saturday, March 9, at 5 p.m., the Bloodhound Gang hosts “Gospel Singing for Relay For Life” at West Rowan High School auditorium. Scheduled to appear are Directors Trio, Total Praise and 3 Souls Won. Doors open at 4 p.m. with concert at 5. Donation is $5. Door prizes and light refreshments are planned. The school is at 8050 N.C. Hwy 801, Mt. Ulla. Seating is limited. Contact Teresa, 704-603-4388 or Lisa, 704-232-2652 for tickets and information.
• On Friday, March 15, get fit and have fun from 7-9 p.m. with a Glow Zumbathon for Relay For Life at the East Rowan High School gym for a $10 donation. The school is located at 175 St. Luke’s Church Road, Salisbury.
• The Tickled Pink Y’s Guys hope you will attend “Crop for a Cure,” a scrapbooking day at the JF Hurley YMCA on Saturday, March 16, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. A $40 donation to Relay For Life includes a full day of crafting with “make and takes,” door prizes, drawings, goodie bags, food, vendors and more. Contact Terri, email@example.com for more information.
• On Saturday, March 16 from 4:30-7 p.m., enjoy a homemade chicken noodle dinner by the Sweet Potato Queens at Organ Lutheran Church fellowship hall. Donation is $6 for adults; $3 for children 3 and under. The menu includes chicken and noodles, slaw, crackers, pickles, homemade desserts and beverages. Hot dogs on the menu, too. The church is at 1515 Organ Church Road.
• On Friday, March 22, city of Salisbury Relay team hosts its annual Hot Dog Luncheon from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at the central Fire Department on East Innes Street, Cost is $5 for a two-dog plate; $4 for a one-dog plate; both include dogs, chips, drink and dessert. To-go orders (not including drink) are available. Contact Niki at 704-638-2098 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Partake of a Relay Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, March 23, from 7-11 a.m. with Faith Cruisers at Faith Lutheran Church. Donation to Relay For Life for the meal is free-will; breakfast includes sausage, scrambled eggs, grits, coffee, milk and orange juice. The church is at 205 S. Main St., Faith. Contact Carolyn or Carrie, 704-279-5053, or email email@example.com.
• Grab your clubs and gather your teammates for a round of golf on Saturday, April 6, at 1 p.m. for a Relay For Life Golf for Cancer Tournament at McCanless Golf Club hosted by the Avon Ladies Relay team. Cost is $45 per golfer on four-golfer teams in Captain’s Choice format and includes two mulligans. Have lunch from 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m. Shotgun start at 2 p.m. Trophies and prizes to be awarded. Register and pay on April 6 at the course, 3515 Stokes Ferry Road. Call 704-431-4165 for more information.
• The next Rowan County team meeting is Tuesday, April 9, and will be the last team meeting before the Relay event on Friday, May 3.
• Bring your canine pals to Bark For Life on Saturday, April 13, at Salisbury City Park, 315 Lake Drive, Shelter 1 from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Pre-registration fee is $10 per canine before April 13 or $15 on April 13. Be part of a Survivors Lap and Dog Walk at 10 a.m., and activities include a blessing of the canines, food and contests with prizes. Local vets, vendors and rescue groups are scheduled to attend. For information and pre-registration, see www.relayforlife.org/barkrowan or contact Kim, 704-278-6736 or Connie, 704-642-1704; on Facebook. Bark For Life of Rowan County.
• On Saturday, April 20, the Seventh Annual Car Show for Relay For Life takes place from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at Faith Legion Park. Cars, foreign and domestic, motorcycles and trucks of all years can be entered. Pre-register for $15 with a donation postmarked by April 10 or register on the day for a $20 donation. Prizes to be awarded with winners decided by ballot. Food and drink and live entertainment are planned, with activities for children, too, and door prizes and silent auction items, luminaria and Coins for a Cure. Team Faith Cruisers promises live entertainment. See web site www.relayforlife.org/rowannc or contact Carolyn or Carrie, 704-279-5053 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• BBQ Chicken Luncheon for Relay For Life with the Classy ‘N Sassy Ladies of Harley team Saturday, April 27, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Tilley Harley-Davidson, 653 Bendix Drive. Tickets $8 for eat-in or take-out include Jerry’s Chicken half-chicken, slaw, baked beans, roll, dessert and drink. Contact Jayne, 704-223-7001 or Vickie, 704-798-2101.
• Team Rejoice continues to accept cellphones in any condition for recycling through PowerHouse Recycling. Proceeds from recycling benefit Relay For Life. Contact Arlene, 980-216-1067. Cellphones will be accepted through the May Relay event.
Relay For Life is an event designed to celebrate survivorship and raise money for research and programs of the American Cancer Society. During the event, teams gather and take turns walking or running laps. Each team tries to keep at least one team member on the track at all times. The 2013 Rowan County Relay will be held May 3-4. Relay event chair is Mike Brady; contact co-chair Lee Ann Freeze for information at email@example.com. For information or services of the American Cancer Society: www.cancer.org. or 1-800- 227-2345. See also www.relayforlife.org/rowannc. Like us on Facebook: Rowan County Relay For Life.