NC governor objects to Charlotte streetcar plan

  • Posted: Friday, February 1, 2013 9:49 a.m.

CHARLOTTE (AP) — Pat McCrory did not like a proposal to use property taxes for a streetcar project when he was mayor of Charlotte.

Now Gov. Pat McCrory has told Charlotte officials that a streetcar plan could hurt the city’s chances of getting state money to expand its light rail service.


Charlotte needs a state grant of $250 million to extend its light rail system to the University of North Carolina Charlotte.

McCrory met earlier this week with Charlotte City Attorney Bob Hagemann and Deputy City Manager Ron Kimble.

The Charlotte officials say McCrory told them if the streetcar plan using property tax revenue goes forward, the state funding for the light rail extension could be at risk.

Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx says he’s “outraged” by what he considers a threat from McCrory.

Notice about comments:

Salisburypost.com is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Salisburypost.com cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Salisburypost.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.