Speaker wire causes a car fire outside South Fulton Street home

  • Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:15 a.m.
    UPDATED: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:23 a.m.
Sharon Finger extinguished a fire inside her car when the dashboard area caught fire. The cause was a wire that had been hooked into the speaker. Photo by Shavonne Potts/Salisbury Post
Sharon Finger extinguished a fire inside her car when the dashboard area caught fire. The cause was a wire that had been hooked into the speaker. Photo by Shavonne Potts/Salisbury Post

SALISBURY — Sharon Finger reacted quickly when her Honda Accord caught fire shortly before 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Finger who lives at 1012 S. Fulton St., one block away from Mambo Grill, was preparing to go to the grocery store when she saw smoke inside the car.


The smoke was coming from the dashboard on the passenger’s side, near the door frame.

“There was smoke then there was a fire,” Finger said, just minutes after the fire.

She called 911 and returned inside her home to get her fire extinguisher and put out the fire.

Finger said she called 911 as a precaution because she “wasn’t sure it was out.”

She also experienced a car fire years ago that destroyed that car, so she didn’t want to take any chances.

The initial emergency call said the fire had spread from the car and ignited the house.

The car was parked close to the house, but the fire was contained to the car.

Fire officials reduced the emergency response once they were on the scene. Salisbury Fire Department responded to the fire.

Fire officials told Finger the fire was caused by a wire hooked to her speakers. The wire cover was burned and the wire was frayed. Her husband not too long ago put an amp and speakers inside her car. The repetitive opening and closing the door caused the wire to spark against the metal and then catch fire, Finger said fire officials told her. She decided against removing the wire herself. Finger said she was capable of removing it, but thought she’d let her husband remove the wire instead.

“I guess we will wait to go to the grocery store,” she said with a smile.

Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.


Notice about comments:

Salisburypost.com is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Salisburypost.com cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Salisburypost.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.