Town Crier Community Events January 21-27
Today, Jan. 21
• Martin Luther King Jr. Day
• Kneeling Gardeners 7 p.m., Trinity UMC, 416 East First St., Kannapolis “Preparing for Spring,” by Steve Christy from Christy’s Nursery. 704-933-1127.
•Rowan County Board of Commissioners meeting postponed until Tuesday.
•Harold B. Jarrett American Legion, dinner 7 p.m., meeting follows meal.
Tuesday, Jan. 22
• RPL Teen Program, Game Night at South Branch, 5:30-7 p.m., 920 Kimball Road, China Grove, Tuesday, Jan. 22,
•Rowan County Board of Social Services, 5:30 p.m., 1813 E. Innes St.
•Rowan County Board of Commissioners, 6 p.m., 130 W. Innes St.
•Uwharrie Chapter Concerned Bikers Association, 6:30 p.m., Corner Pocket Sports Bar and Billiards, Albemarle. 704-463-0111, email@example.com, www.uwharriecba.org
•Planning Board regular meeting, 4 p.m., City Council Chambers, 217 S. Main St.
Wednesday, Jan. 23
•Sign Committee January 23, 4:15 p.m., second floor conference room at City Hall, 217 S. Main St., to discuss possible changes to Chapter 12 (signs) of the Land Development Ordinance.
•Legal Aid of North Carolina will provide free simple wills, living wills, health and financial power of attorneys to Rowan County seniors of low to moderate means, Feb. 21 at Rufty-Holmes Senior Center by appointment, call 877-579-7562.
Thursday, Jan. 24
•Piedmont Farmer’s Market Kannapolis, open year-round Thursdays, Old Cannon Mills Outlet Store, 120 West Ave., in the Village.
•Elder Law Seminar at RPL, 3 p.m., 201 W. Fisher St., Stanback Auditorium, attorney Bob Mason on Make Sure Your VA Benefits Aren’t AWOL.
•People Growing Together Toastmasters, 5:30 p.m., J.F. Hurley YMCA, 828 Jake Alexander Blvd. West.
•Piedmont Prime Time Community Band accepting new members through Feb. 7, rehearsals Thursdays 7 p.m., Blackwelder Park Baptist Church, 2204 Summit Ave., Kannapolis. 704-425-3508, www.primetimeband.org
•Fulton Masonic Lodge Stated Communications, 6 p.m. dinner, 7 p.m. meeting.
•Rowan Brain Injury support group, 7 p.m., Easter Seals/ UCP office, 620 W. Innes St. Nadine Cherry 980-622-7732, Jane Jackman The Arc of Rowan 704-637-1521.
•Carolina Historical Association for Metal Detecting, 7:30 p.m., Grace Ridge Club House, 2815 Grace Church Road, 704-310-6321, 336-474-7268
Friday, Jan. 25
• String Fellows Session featuring Kenny Roby, opener-Tripp Edwards; doors open 7 p.m., $7 at door. Looking Glass Artists Center, 405 N. Lee St., 704-633-2787, www.salisburyartists.com
•Bluegrass jam, 7-9 p.m., open to all acoustic musicians, every Friday. E H Montgomery General Store, Gold Hill, 704-267-9439.
•Heavenly hotdog sale, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. every Friday. Free delivery 10+, or take out. Mt. Olivet UMC, 301 Mt. Olivet Road, Concord, 704-782-8846, www. mtochurch.com
Saturday Jan. 26
•Goldmine Toastmasters, 8:30 a.m., Fairfield Inn, 30330 Cloverleaf Plaza, Kannapolis.
•West Rowan Neighborhood Center Advisory Council, R.A. Clement Old Building/Allen Temple Church. Leonard Hall 704-278-9116 or John Woods, 704-278-0096.
•R A Clement Association, 9 a.m., Allen Temple Presbyterian Church, Cleveland, for former students, families, staff , faculty, friends of R. A. Clement High School 1948-1968.
• Journey Stories at NC Transportation Museum, 1 p.m., Dr. Bill Anderson on “Cherokee Removal.” Wagon’s Wheels & Wings exhibit area, free. www.nctrans.org/Events/Journey-Stories.aspx
• 8th Annual Oyster Roast, 6:30-11:30 p.m., F&M Trolley Barn downtown Salisbury, proceeds support Waterworks’ education, outreach programs. Ticket info 704-636-1882, www.waterworks.org
• CD release concert by Acid FM, doors open 8 p.m., $10 admission includes copy of CD. Looking Glass Artists Center, 405 N. Lee St., 704-633-2787, www.salisburyartists.com