Construction crew pulls gas line, South Main Street in Landis shutdown for three hours
LANDIS — A construction crew accidently pulled a natural gas line Wednesday, shutting down the 1000 block of South Main Street for three hours.
Sanders Utility Construction Co. pulled a residential gas connection out of the main natural gas pipe with a backhoe, said Landis Fire Division Chief Art Delaney.
The company has been handling the town’s water project since the summer. The incident occurred at 9 a.m. at 1010 S. Main St. and wrapped up just before noon, when the leak was stopped.
Landis Fire Department did not have to evacuate the area, but traffic was blocked until repairs could be made.
Landis Fire requested Enochville Fire Department to the scene for additional manpower and China Grove Fire to cover both towns, Delaney said.
The rescue squad was also on hand for medical monitoring in the event there was an explosion.
The fire department had to explore the area because of the damage and location of the leak before PSNC Energy was able to repair the leak.
“Due to the excellent teamwork with all agencies involved, the incident was handled safely and efficiently,” Delaney said.