Curling iron caused early Thursday Old Wilkesboro Road fire

  • Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2013 12:47 a.m.

Fire officials say an unattended curling iron caused an early morning fire at Old Wilkesboro Road.

The fire occurred Thursday shortly before 2 a.m. at 1404 Old Wilkesboro Road and was under control in less than an hour.


Salisbury Fire Marshal Terry Smith said the hair tool ignited a combustible material near it inside a bedroom. It was an accident, he said.

Itís hard to tell because of the damage what type of combustible material caught fire, he said.

The occupants of the home were home at the time and were able to get out of the house before fire crews arrived. The home was 50 percent damaged, Smith said, and at this time uninhabitable.

Salisbury and Spencer Fire departments responded, as did the Rowan County Rescue Squad. The Rowan Chapter of the American Red Cross aided the family.

Notice about comments:

Salisburypost.com is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Salisburypost.com cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Salisburypost.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.