Fire causes damage to Kannnapolis home

  • Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:33 a.m.

KANNAPOLIS — A Klondale Avenue house sustained fire damage in the attic and exterior wall Monday, displacing the family who lives there.

When Kannapolis firefighters responded to the blaze in the 900 block at about 2 p.m., they found smoke billowing from the attic.


The local American Red Cross chapter is assisting with temporary housing for the family, who was at home at the time.

No one was injured during the fire.

The cause is under investigation, however it appears to have started around the outside of the chimney.  Statistically, more than one-third of Americans use fireplaces, wood stoves and other fuel-fired appliances as primary heat sources in their homes.

 Heating fires account for 36 percent of residential home fires in rural areas every year. Often these fires are due to creosote buildup in chimneys and stovepipes.

All home heating systems require regular maintenance to function safely and efficiently.

The United States Fire Administration offers the following tips on making your safer while burning wood:

• Have your chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney specialist.

• Clear the area around the hearth of debris, decorations and flammable materials.

• Leave glass doors open while burning a fire. Leaving the doors open ensures that the fire receives enough air to ensure complete combustion and keeps creosote from building up in the chimney.

• Close glass doors when the fire is out to keep air from the chimney opening from getting into the room. Most glass fireplace doors have a metal mesh screen which should be closed when the glass doors are open. This mesh screen helps keep embers from getting out of the fireplace area.

• Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces that do not have a glass fireplace door.

• Install stovepipe thermometers to help monitor flue temperatures.

• Keep air inlets on wood stoves open, and never restrict air supply to fireplaces. Otherwise you may cause creosote buildup that could lead to a chimney fire.

• Use fire-resistant materials on walls around wood stoves.

For more information on these and other fire safety tips, contact Maria Bostian, Kannapolis Fire Department’s public educator at 704-920-4260.

Notice about comments:

Salisburypost.com is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Salisburypost.com cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Salisburypost.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.