Area Sports Briefs
From staff reports
After a tough home loss against Wingate on Wednesday, Catawba returns to SAC action today at Anderson.
Catawba’s men play at 4 p.m.
Lee Martin , Tyrece Little and freshman Elon Edwards are averaging double figures for the Indians (3-3, 0-1).
Anderson (3-1, 1-0) edged Lenoir-Rhyne on Wednesday.
Denzail Jones averages 20.5 points per game for the Trojans, and Chandler Nash and Bo Holston also average double figures.
• Catawba’s women open the doubleheader at 2 p.m.
Catawba (4-2, 1-0) has won its last four games.
Chloe Bully is averaging 18.7 points per game, and Elizabeth Merritt and Antionette McPhail are scoring in double figures. McPhail also averages 9.2 rebounds per contest.
Anderson (4-3, 0-0) played in a Thanksgiving tournament in Alaska.
• Brevard’s Darius Moose (Carson) and Augusta State’s K.J. Sherrill and Keshun Sherrill (West Rowan) are redshirting this season.
New Bern vs. Porter Ridge
• The other seven NCHSAA championship games are today at UNC, N.C. State and Wake Forest.
Concord plays Havelock for the 3A title at Wake Forest at 3 p.m.
South Iredell plays Carrboro for the 2AA championship at 7 p.m. at N.C. State.
• Davidson Day quarterback Will Grier was named Gatorade North Carolina Football Player of the Year.
Grier threw for state records of 5,785 yards and 69 touchdowns and led his team to the NCISAA Division II state championship.
Davie’s Adam Elshanawany and Arturo Moure-Garcia made the All-CPC team for boys soccer.
Co-players of the year were Mount Tabor’s Nick Milligan and West Forsyth’s Connor Smith.
• Davie’s Kristina Parrish and Rachel Ruble were named to the All-CPC volleyball team.
Reagan’s Sue Babcock was the CPC Player of the Year.
• Davie tennis players Nadia Gregory, Allie Billings and Jennifer Webster were All-CPC.
Reagan’s Montse Mesalles was named CPC Player of the Year.
• Davie’s Blakely Gantt earned a spot on the All-CPC girls cross country team,
Runners of the year for the CPC were Mount Tabor’s Kayla Montgomery and Dalton Nickel.
Middle school wrestling
In middle school wrestling matches, Erwin defeated Corriher-Lipe 78-24 and topped China Grove 56-36.
Southeast Middle defeated North Rowan Middle 54-42.
Mooresville topped Corriher-Lipe 75-24.
See Scoreboard for individual results.
Middle school hoops
West Rowan Middle’s boys beat Knox 51-38.
Kortez Weeks and Nick Warren scored 16 points each for the Bulldogs (2-1).
Rodney Howell scored seven points, and Jovon Quarles added six.
Howell pulled down 12 rebounds. Armoni Hogue had eight boards, and Quarles and Weeks had six apiece.
Paris Hillie led the Trojans with 12 points. Cameron Horne scored 10, Shaleek Williams had eight, and K.P. Patterson scored six.