Electrical issue caused fire that gutted two Granite Terrace apartments

  • Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 1:04 a.m.

GRANITE QUARRY An electrical issue is being blamed for the fire that gutted two apartments in Granite Terrance on Wednesday.

Granite Quarry Fire Marshal Mark Troublefield said investigators determined the fire started in an outlet box in apartment No. 8, which is on the left end of the five-unit building.


It took firefighters about 30 minutes to get the blaze under control.

Property manager Nate Chambers said the two end apartments are destroyed and its unlikely the people who live there will be able to salvage anything.

Its a total loss, he said. You just feel awful for them, its so sad they have to go through this.

Chambers said people who live in the other three apartments will likely be able to save most of their belongings, despite water and smoke damage.

The firefighters did a really good job moving everything to the middle of the room and covering it with a tarp to protect it from water, he said.

The tenants of all five apartments have been displaced. They are currently receiving help from the local chapter of the American Red Cross.

Its too soon to say whether anyone will be able to move back into the building.

Were kind of at the mercy of the insurance companies at this point, Chambers said. Were waiting to see what they are going to tell us.

Chambers said he thinks the structure will be able to undergo repairs, but its possible it will have to be torn down and completely rebuilt.

We have to make sure before we would let somebody move back in that its safe, he said.

Contact reporter Sarah Campbell at 704-797-7683.

Twitter: twitter.com/posteducation

Facebook: facebook.com/Sarah.SalisburyPost

Commenting is not allowed on this article.