No injuries in Kannapolis fire
KANNAPOLIS - Sunday evening around 5:30, a 911 call from a passing motorist alerted the Kannapolis Fire Department to a possible structure fire in the 1000 block of East First Street. Firefighters arrived less than 5 minutes later to find heavy smoke coming from the attic of a single family home.
According to Acting Battalion Chief Joe Simmons, "Smoke was pushing from the front gable of the home with fire visible in the rear of the house. Firefighters made entry into the home and quickly confined the fire to the room of origin." Although the fire was quickly extinguished, there was smoke and heat damage throughout the home. Two dogs and a cat were able to escape through a door opened by firefighters into a fenced area in the back. The occupants were not at home at the time of the fire.
Landis Fire Department and Odell Fire Department provided district coverage while Cabarrus County EMS provided medical monitoring for firefighters working to contain the blaze. No injuries were reported.
The cause of today's fire appears to be related to the use of a space heater although the investigation continues.