Rowan commissioners OK transfer of prisoners
By Karissa Minn
Rowan County commissioners also:
• Agreed to move forward with the transfer of 20 to 30 prisoners from Iredell County to the new Rowan County jail annex.
Sheriff Kevin Auten said the inmates will stay for just a few weeks while Iredell finishes maintenance on its own building. He recommended the county charge $50 per day plus medical fees for each inmate, which is the same price Montgomery County has charged Rowan to house prisoners.
• Changed the Sept. 17 meeting time from 6 p.m. to 3 p.m. because the county fair starts that evening.
• Accepted the annual health department fee schedule recommendations, including an increase from $7 to $10 for the animal shelter's rabies vaccination fee for animal redemption. About 33 percent of the dental health fees and 50 percent of the medical fees have increased, according to Health Director Barbara Ellis.
• Approved a declaration of official intent to reimburse expenditures for the purchase of 20 vehicles.
The county plans to advance its own funds and pay itself back up to $720,000 to buy a truck for the telecommunications department, two trucks for the animal control division, 14 vehicles for the sheriff's office and two ambulances and a sports utility vehicle for the emergency services department.
• Approved a change order for the 911 center to re-instate a back-up generator and uninterruptible power supply system in the project. These items were originally removed so the county could pay for 911 center construction with grant funds instead of borrowed funds.
• Approved several budget amendments and board appointments.