West Nile Virus leads to Kannapolis woman's death
KANNAPOLIS - A Kannapolis woman reportedly died Tuesday of complications from West Nile Virus, according to media reports Tuesday night.
The death would make it the third confirmed death in North Carolina this year from the mosquito-borne illness.
The woman's name was not immediately available.
As of Wednesday, the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services said two additional cases had been reported, totaling five in the state.
In addition to the Cabarrus County case, the illness has been reported in Forsyth, Mecklenburg, Scotland and Wayne counties.
State Health Director Laura Gerald said in a press release that residents and visitors should make regular use of insect repellant and eliminate potential breeding sites around homes and businesses.
"While the Division of Public Health has only confirmed cases of West Nile in these five counties, we want to encourage everyone to protect themselves, especially at this time of year, when mosquitoes are most active," Gerald said. "West Nile, and other mosquito-borne illness, can occur in any county in North Carolina."
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control said 48 states have reported West Nile cases, a press release said.
As many as 1,590 people have reportedly been infected, including 66 deaths.