Mooresville man charged with assault after shots fired

  • Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 11:53 a.m.
Adrian Eugene Spencer
Adrian Eugene Spencer

A Mooresville man, who was charged with shooting a former roommate following a Friday afternoon altercation, has been released from jail.

Adrian Eugene Spencer, 50, of Oakbreeze Drive, Mooresville, was charged with felony assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. He received a $1,000 secured bond and has since been released.

Officers responded to the 1300 block of Oakbreeze Drive about 3:45 p.m. Friday after a call was made to 911. Officials were told someone had been shot. Deputies arrived and talked first to Spencer. Officers found the victim, Alfred Ray Gibson, 46, of Rhinehardt Road, Mooresville, at a nearby address in a lawn chair in the driveway.

Gibson’s mother, Linda Barnette, was there assisting him while officials waited for EMS to arrive. He’d been shot in the right calf. Gibson was taken to Rowan Regional Medical Center.

Officers located the weapon, a .22-caliber revolver, where Spencer told him he’d placed it, on the kitchen table.

Gibson told officers he’d been released from prison on Friday and asked his mother to take him to Oakbreeze Drive to pick up his scooter. Gibson said he’d lived there with Spencer in February 2012. He said when he left, his Yamaha scooter was at that address, a report said.

Spencer asked Gibson to leave the premises; Gibson said he was there to get his scooter. The two had a dispute over who completed the payments on the scooter and the two men argued. Gibson tried to take the scooter, which led to a fist fight between the men, the report said.

Spencer told officers Gibson picked up a pipe in the yard, then Spencer remembered his handgun was on the scooter. Spencer fired a warning shot into the air, which did not stop Gibson, he told officers. Spencer fired another shot into the ground and fired a third time, striking Gibson in the leg. Gibson was assisted by his mother, who had been at a neighbor’s house, while they waited for law enforcement. Spencer called authorities. Barnette was allowed to take the moped with her, a report said.

Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.

Notice about comments: is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.