College Football: Area Athletes Update
By Mike London
Area Athletes update ...
There was finally some good news for Arkansas on Saturday. The Razorbacks beat SEC foe Auburn 24-7, and defensive end Chris Smith (West Rowan) was a big part of it.
Smith had five tackles. He had a sack for a 7-yard loss and shared another sack with Trey Flowers.
Smith also was credited with two QB hurries.
• Shaun Warren (Carson) had six carries for 34 yards in Western Carolina's 45-13 Southern Conference loss to Georgia Southern.
Warren scored his first TD of the season on a 9-yard run. He returned two kickoffs for 59 yards, including a 37-yard return.
• K.P. Parks (West) had a 100-yard all-purpose day for Virginia in a 42-17 loss at Duke.
Park's scored the game's first TD on a 7-yard run. He finished with nine carries for 74 yards and caught three passes for 29 yards.
• Appalachian State's Jamill Lott (A.L. Brown) intercepted a pass and made three tackles in the Mountaineers' 17th straight win against Elon.
• Romar Morris (Salisbury) ran back three kickoffs for 74 yards in UNC's 48-34 win against Virginia Tech.
• Redshirt freshman safety Darien Rankin (Salisbury) was in on eight tackles, including a couple of bone-jarring hits, for the Tar Heels and broke up a pass.
• UNC back Travis Riley (A.L. Brown) is hurt again and was on the sidelines on crutches.
• An injury has kept linebacker Jared Barber (Davie) out of the West Virginia lineup.
He made four tackles early in the season.
• Javon Hargrave (North Rowan) was in on five tackles for South Carolina State in a 40-10 loss to N.C. Central.
• Jon Crucitti (West) returned a punt 8 yards in Army's 34-31 win against Boston College.
Fullback Ike Whitaker (Salisbury) led the ground attack for Lenoir-Rhyne in a 34-6 SAC win at Brevard on Saturday.
Whitaker rushed 13 times for 87 yards. He scored on a 4-yard run early in the second half to give the Bears a 21-0 lead.
• Andrew Leslie (A.L. Brown) and Zach Long (Davie) made tackles for the Bears.
• UNC Pembroke got key contributions from Rowan two products in a 20-10 win against Tusculum.
Ben DeCelle (East Rowan) had five catches for 91 yards. His 60-yard TD catch midway through the first quarter rallied UNCP from an early 7-0 deficit.
UNCP middle linebacker Cadarreus Mason (South Rowan) was in on 11 tackles and has six solo stops.
• It was a rough day for the Catawba Indians in a 42-7 loss to Carson-Newman.
Quarterback B.J. Sherrill (West) was sacked three times, but he did throw his 10th touchdown pass of the season. He was 13-for-22 for 111 yards.
• Trey Mashore (West) was expected to be a receiver for the Indians this season, but he moved back to defense when safety Tyrone Johnson suffered a neck injury. Mashore made three tackles Saturday and has seven for the season.
• In Wingate's 37-31 loss to Mars Hill, Josh Patch (East Rowan) made two tackles for the Bulldogs. Joseph So (Salisbury) started at center for the Bulldogs. He also made the tackle after a Mars Hill interception.
• Quentin Sifford (West) made two tackles, one for a loss, as West Liberty spoiled West Virginia State's homecoming with a 52-19 romp.
• Maurice Leak returned as starting QB for Charleston on Saturday, but John Knox (Salisbury) played and contributed some good runs to a 30-13 win against Seton Hill, Pa.
Cornerback Zack Grkman (Carson) intercepted a pass and returned it 32 yards as Averett won for the first time this season. Averett beat LaGrange, Ga., 14-7.
Grkman broke up two passes and made three tackles. Grkman leads Averett with two picks and six breakups.
•T.J. Smith (Carson) was in on three tackles for Averett, while Dontae Gilbert (Carson) made one stop.
• Hobie Proctor (West) kicked off to the LaGrange 10 to start the game.
• Adam Smith (Davie) made four catches for 40 yards for Guilford in a 20-7 win against Shenandoah.
• In Emory & Henry's 45-28 loss to Washington & Lee, Matt Turchin (West) averaged 60.4 yards on five kickoffs and was 2-for-2 on PATs.