Groups get foundation grants
The Salisbury Community Foundation recently distributed grants totaling $72,690 to local nonprofit agencies.
The 2009 grants are given in memory and in appreciation of Christine P. Whitton, board chair of the Salisbury Community Foundation until August 2009.
"We remember her dedication and commitment to the quality of life and to the citizens of our community," the foundation said in a press release.
Grants were awarded to the following organizations:
- $8,500 to Catawba College to assist in the funding of a commercial dishwasher for the campus dining hall.
- $8,000 to Communities in Schools of Rowan County Inc. to support two graduation coaches salaries.
- $1,690 to Community Learning After School to fund the Community Learning After School Support Program.
- $10,000 to E.H. Dole Chapter American Red Cross for client disaster support and services to the armed forces.
- $8,000 to Hood Theological Seminary for student financial assistance.
- $4,000 to Meals on Wheels of Rowan County to purchase food for program.
- $10,000 to Rowan County Rescue Squad to buy a new 12-lead biphasic electrocardiogram monitor/defibrillator.
- $10,000 to Rowan Helping Ministries for building enhancements.
- $7,500 to St. Luke's Episcopal Church for the Backpack Buddies Program.
- $5,000 to The Rape, Child & Family Abuse Crisis Council for operating expenses.
The Salisbury Community Foundation (SCF) is dedicated to inspiring philanthropy in the Salisbury/Rowan County area.
The foundation has a permanent endowment established in 1944 by local leaders to benefit a broad range of charitable purposes. It joined Foundation For The Carolinas as a supporting organization in 1995 and became a regional affiliate in 2006.
The Salisbury Community Foundation helps individuals and families address their philanthropic needs through charitable giving services; helps local nonprofits secure their future through endowments and establishment of charitable giving programs; and addresses a broad range of changing local needs through a grantmaking program.
As an affiliate of Charlotte-based Foundation For The Carolinas, the Salisbury Community Foundation is dedicated to increasing charitable giving and strengthening the community.
The foundation's Web site is www.salisbury-cf.org.
The Salisbury Community Foundation 2009 Board of Trustees includes Tom E. Smith, chairman; Dwight F. Messinger, vice chairman; Alice M. Stanback, secretary; Steven Fisher, treasurer; Patricia P. Rendleman, immediate past chairman; Larry T. Cloninger Jr.; Shari Graham; Judy Grissom; R. Darrell Hancock; Susan W. Kluttz; Edward P. Norvell; and William C. Stanback.
For more information about the foundation, contact Meg Dees, vice president, development, at 704-224-8840, or email@example.com.