Need high for blood donations
With extreme heat keeping some donors at home and severe storms forcing the cancellation of dozens of blood drives earlier in the month, the American Red Cross continues to have an emergency need for donors of all blood types.
If at least two additional donors give at each blood drive through the end of July — above what the American Red Cross already expects to collect — the blood supply would be sufficient to meet patient needs.
Red Cross blood donations are at the lowest they have been in 15 years. Public support from the organization’s late-June appeal helped temporarily stop a decline in the blood supply.
Upcoming blood drives
• Sunday, Aug. 5, from 1 to 5:30 p.m., Christiana Lutheran Church, 6190 Hwy. 52, Salisbury, call Christy Litaker at 704-232-3706 for an appointment.
• Sunday, Aug. 5, 1-5:30 p.m., Mt. Moriah Lutheran Church, 750 Mt. Moriah Church Road, China Grove, call Rickie Walker at 704-938-1716 for an appointment.
• Calvary Baptist Tabernacle, Sunday, Aug. 12, 12:30-5 p.m., Call Sheila Holshouser at 704-645-9328 for an appointment.
• Salem Evangelical Lutheran, Sunday, Aug. 12, 1-5 p.m., 5080 Sherrills Ford Road, Salisbury, call Penny Barger at 704-636-0352 for an appointment.
• Monday, Aug. 13, noon-4:30 p.m., Salisbury Community at the American Red Cross E.H. Dole Chapter, 1930 Jake Alexander Blvd. West. Call the Red Cross at 704-633-3854 for an appointment.
• Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2:30-7 p.m., Blackwelder Park Baptist, 2204 Summit Ave., Kannapolis. Call Jannetta Eberhart at 704-938-2773 for an appointment.
• Thursday, Aug. 16, 12:30-4:30 p.m., N.C. State Highway Patrol, 5780 S. Main St., Salisbury. Call L. Brady at 704-855-1047 for an appointment.
• Saturday, Aug. 25, 11 a.m. -3 p.m., J. Fred Corriher YMCA, 950 Kimble Road China Grove. Call the American Red Cross at 704-633-3854 for an appointment.
• Thursday, Aug. 30, 9 a.m. -6 p.m., Rowan Regional Medical Center, 612 Mocksville Ave.. Call Patti Gumiela at 704-210-5195 for an appointment.
Call 1-336-413-3311 or 1-704-633-3854 or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license, or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.