December 19, 2014

Boone officials say heater replaced without permit

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, June 18, 2013

BOONE (AP) — A Boone inspector says a motel pool heater that leaked carbon monoxide and killed a Washington state couple and later a South Carolina boy was installed without the knowledge of the town’s inspection department.
Todd Miller with the Boone Planning and Inspections Department says the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza never told the city about the new heater. Miller says the motel did not apply for a required permit for the change.
Officials say carbon monoxide poisoning killed 73-year-old Daryl Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Jenkins of Longview, Wash., on April 16. They were staying in a room directly over the pool’s maintenance room.
Eleven-year-old Jeffrey Lee Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died in the same room June 8.
An attorney for the motel did not respond to a message.

Comments

comments

Crime

Police: Odd behavior leads to child abuse charges for Salisbury woman

Check this out

Bridge on Faith Road to be replaced

Environment

DENR’s well testing would be the latest in a series

Business

Piedmont Players buy Greensboro costume company

Crime

Blotter: Sheriff’s Office warn against phone scam

Education

Guest column: Rebecca Aclin gets her pepper on, literally

Education

Crosby Scholars works with middle school students

Crime

Salisbury man, two others plead guilty to scheme to bilk money from Shaw Air Force Base

Crime

Authorities looking for Rowan woman, wanted suspect captured in Mississippi

Education

Education briefs

Education

Book it: Library helps boy discover joy of reading

Granite Quarry

Trees reflect the season at Granite Lake Park

Local

Rowan couple ‘pays it forward’ to give to Christmas Happiness

News

Main Street Mission gives families Christmas with Dignity

News

No recycling pick up on Christmas Day in Salisbury

Education

Education shoutouts

Education

Rowan-Cabarrus leads revision of statewide nursing curriculum

Business

F&M Bank sends food to local non-profit pantries

Local

Clarification on Celebrity Cipher

Education

One more day to enter Post’s Christmas card contest

Education

From seed to plate: Middle schoolers take hands-on approach to agriculture

Education

County government opens loan proposals for school central office

Local

Charlotte airport expecting heavy traffic starting Thursday

Check this out

DOT suspends most road construction for holidays